• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glocktoys

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    mishawaka, up north
    thinking of working on getting info to get a license but want to know more about it. i am thinking in case of a natural desaster it may be nice to have the ability to communicate if the phones (cell and land) are down and no internet.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Start here:
    QRZ.COM Practice Amateur Radio Exams
    These are practice tests. When you feel comfortable with the "technician" questions, find a testing site, pay your $14 (give or take) and earn your license.

Note that once you pass the Technician test, you can continue on that day and take the General as well, and once you pass that, the Extra, all for the same 14 bucks. If you don't pass, no big deal, just go home and study and come back for the next test later, for another 14 bucks.

Good luck!

73!
    Blessings,
    Bill

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I took mine back when morse code was still required. I had a radio background already, and passed up to general in the written, but after only a month of study, didn't quite make 13wpm, so I'm still a tech. The question pools are all available online; if you're any good at remembering stuff, you can pass easily. Go to a hamfest. Most have someone administering tests. I did mine at Dayton, which comes up in the spring, so you'd have plenty of time to study. That fest will blow your mind. 73, N9JRO

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    The practice test advice if very good. However if you're starting from scratch in terms of radio and electronics knowledge I'd suggest starting here:

Ham Radio License Manual

I'd also suggest that you search out your local ham radio club. Many clubs hold 8-10 week courses for the tech and next step, general, license teaching the knowledge and skills needed to pass the exam.

I used this method for getting both. I'd suggest that you go for the general class after getting the technician's license. Based on what you said you'd like to do, gaining the ability to operate on the high frequency bands with voice would be helpful.

Good luck!

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I wish you luck on your test, I studied with a free phone app, my dad and with QRZ.com til' I got most of the questions right, then I went and took the test and passed. I had a radio and electronics background already with my dad being a ham so it wasn't too difficult.

It's a fun hobby to get into that can have it's rewards. I also recommend going to Dayton for the Dayton Hamvention at least once, I've been going for the past 6 years. It's absolutely amazing, they have pretty much anything you could possibly want for radios and electronics.

K0UGR

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I wish you luck on your test, I studied with a free phone app, my dad and with QRZ.com til' I got most of the questions right, then I went and took the test and passed. I had a radio and electronics background already with my dad being a ham so it wasn't too difficult.

It's a fun hobby to get into that can have it's rewards. I also recommend going to Dayton for the Dayton Hamvention at least once, I've been going for the past 6 years. It's absolutely amazing, they have pretty much anything you could possibly want for radios and electronics.

K0UGR
    Adding to my post #3 above, this is what I did... studied with QRZ.com. It worked well for me, esp. having no background whatsoever in radio or electronics. I took my Technician and General and passed both the same day. I took a long time after that and passed my Extra as well... All with QRZ.

I don't use any of this; the closest I come is owning a small 2m handheld, but if I need to use it, I've got the license. It was actually kind of fun studying.

Blessings,
    Bill

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Old post but I thought I'd bring it back. I took and passed my tech and general on the same day. I had a background in radio but the questions that let me down (or that I let myself down on) were the things like repeater splits, power limits and the stuff specific to the US. I've had a ham licence in the UK since 1999 or so but I didn't study enough the band plans and all that fun stuff.

On a related note, how many of you guys have transcievers in your cars? Do you monitor 146.520? I have a 1/4 wave NMO mount on my car and a mag mount. Since I don't drive a crown vic or Imapala I figure any fellow hams would recognise my car for what it is.. a ham mobile and give me a call.

I thought about getting a ham vanity plate but I'm thinking a small sticker or something would be "more better".

Are there any hams up here in Lake County? I never know which repeater to hit up when I'm driving around, there seem to be too many.

KC9UZB.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Napalm -- First and foremost, CONGRATS on you ticket....

At least here in the Indy area, mosts folks 'hang out' on the repeaters, not 146.52. I would program the local repeaters in and scan, after a day or 2, you should pick-up the active one(s).

Good luck, and if you are every down Indy way, try the 146.700 repeaters.

Later, and 73... Greg , de K9TLA

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I started listening to the repeaters, but that got old REAL quick. I prefer simplex for many reasons. Rarely do I hear much on 146.520. But there is a lot of simplex activity out there.

If really concerned about comm after shtf, best to have hf capability and experience with it. :twocents:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I heard a couple of OFs talking on '520 the other day as if it were a chat channel. I was glad when I got to Meijer so I could turn the radio off and stop listening to them talking about their false teeth :(

Seems like all the hams are old in body or at least old in mind.

I programmed up pretty much every repeater in Lake and Porter counties and driving around I barely here any activity... Just the 10 minute idents.

Kinda sad. I put the odd call out but no-one comes back. Must be the accent!

Top Bottom