• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mathews 4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    OCT 1st I CAN'T WAIT

No wife and kids here and I havn't missed opening morning since I graduated college and god willing I never will....Like my user name says: MATHEWS 4ever...I shoot a mathews and always will. I'll be out there NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!! Good luck brother :)

Mathews DXT
    Mathews Switchback
    Easton full metal jackets (blazer fletched)
    100 gr. slicktricks

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Probably not on opening day, but I just had my arrows refletched and new nocks put on. I'm having a hard time finding a good place to hunt withing a reasonable driving distance.

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    I'm having a hard time finding a good place to hunt withing a reasonable driving distance.

I hear ya. I would love to find some private land to hunt. I hunt in Greene-Sullivan state forest. I have acess via private property so its kinda like private. Been hunting there the last 8 yrs and havent run into anyother hunters yet.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Can't wait till opening day! I'm taking a friend of mine and setting him up in "freezer filler" spot. He has a very torn up shoulder and allowed to use a crossbow all season long. He has sat back and watched us hunt for several years. He now has an awesome ten point cross bow so he can join us!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, I own a bow, and in the middle of ton's of acres of public ground. If I can scratch out the practice time, I'll be ready if hunting time becomes available.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Bought a new tripod stand last fall, and put it in the woods over the July 4th holiday. Don't do bow season, but my Ruger and I will be sitting in my stand by 06:00 on Nov 15th :rockwoot:

HPIM0115.jpg

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    No bow season for me anymore (bow equipment for sale in clasifieds) bad shoulder. I never liked killing deer when it is so warm. I ususly waited until after the first frost anyway. I am more of a killer than a hunter. I will be in my stand, deer killed, dressed, and back home by 8:00am. I fill the freezer with nice young bucks and older does. I leave the antlers for the hunters. I don't care how long you cook them antlers they just don't taste good.

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    September 15 for me! Urban season opens up, and my wife's family farm is just right, located within the boundaries. Opened up with a nice 8 pointer last year. : )

Beech Grover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Cant wait.
    Taking the kids on the 27-28 youth hunt. A grate time. we saw 12 last year but got busted in the open. will be better prepared this year. Have a Ground blind now.
    Be sure to post how you did.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Before the firearm season starts, I'll be out squirrel hunting. Once firearm season opens up, I'll be out squirrel hunting, with my .44 Mag revolver. Wait, let me rephrase that. I'll be out squirrel hunting with my .22 and carrying my .44 Mag revolver. If it looks like there are decent trails, I'll get a tag and see if I can get within 30 yards of a nice deer. I'm not a mounter, so I'm OK with an Antlerless. Just hunting for enjoyment out in the woods and meat.

I hope to see some bow deer stands when I'm squirrel hunting. I'll let the bow hunters to the scouting and put me in pistol range once they are out. :) (A tip I got from an old handgun hunter. Is that cheating?)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Indy joe- Just a heads up that someone gave me- If you are hunting for deer and squirrel simultaneously, be aware that .22 rifle is not legal for deer and is supposedly popular among poachers. It would not be good to make contact with a CO who thinks you are breaking a deer hunting law.

I think your idea is a good one, and have considered it myself. When I was discussing it with a fellow hunter, he cautioned me with the above info. Not telling you what to do, just something to think about. You can plan out your rebuttal, so that if a CO stops you, you wont be bumbling your way through an explanation.

Regards,
    Josh

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Indy joe- Just a heads up that someone gave me- If you are hunting for deer and squirrel simultaneously, be aware that .22 rifle is not legal for deer and is supposedly popular among poachers. It would not be good to make contact with a CO who thinks you are breaking a deer hunting law.

I think your idea is a good one, and have considered it myself. When I was discussing it with a fellow hunter, he cautioned me with the above info. Not telling you what to do, just something to think about. You can plan out your rebuttal, so that if a CO stops you, you wont be bumbling your way through an explanation.

Very good to know. Don't know who would consider trying to kill a deer with a .22. Seems like you need to make a dynamite shot to be anything like humane. I guess they are more worried about lack of report from the firearm than any humanity.

I know there isn't an issue with carrying a rifle and pistol (assuming LTCH) while hunting squirrel, but I was planning a better read through the hunting book before going for deer with the method I described. I figured that I would wait to see if I even found some promising spots before committing to the deer tags. Although I saw plenty of deer in Morgan-Monroe, just in the car about 30 minutes before sunset. More than I expected.

Top Bottom