Anybody here belong to the Evansville Issac Walton league?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Drove out there ~2 years ago & checked it out. My opinions only:
    1) Ranges were rough/shoddy & not well kept.
    2) Access to range was not car friendly (truck or beater car would be better).

I didn't join, guess RTBA Indoor Range & Sugar Ridge it for me, for now.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I was a member a few years ago. I do agree with bmbutch some what. The range was kind of run down but to not that bad. At the time I was a member the longest yardage they had was 100 and at best ony about 3 people could shoot at one time. The pistol range was larger and better kept, but not a nice as Red Brush.

I was told that last year they did do some updating to the range, but I can not confirm that. I did however like the people there who run the grounds. Very nice and friendly, also I like the fact that you can just go up and join. The others make you get 3 current members who have to sponsor you to join. That's kind of tuff when you don't know anyone there.

They will let you take a tour of the place if you wish, They let me drive all around the place before I joined.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I'm a member of redbrush, and its I nice range, close to issack Walton, fees are close (new members are 100 a year, and a 50 dollar initiation fee) and you have to be in the nra, and do 1 work day a year or pay a 70.00 work day fine (the work days involve weedeating, painting, cleaning and from what I hear, they are only about 4 hours)

we have two pistol bays, two pistol/rifle bays, one 400 yard range that's open all but 12 hours a month, and one 500 yard range that open about 12 hours a month (the 500 yard line, is behind the 400 yard line)

redbrush was on a waiting list to be a member, but they have recently lifted the 1000 member cap, and everytime I have been there, I could have had a whole bay to myself!, but mostly I go on sundays, I did go there at about 7.30 on a Saturday night (july 3rd) and it was packed, not with shooting, but a church picnic, it was me, two friends on the 1st bay, and even tho the parking lot was full, all the ranges were open!, the member who was with the church group, stopped by and talked to us, and whipped out a sterling sub machine gun and let us fire a few rounds.

I joined redbrush this January, and I wish I had joined long before then!, everytime I drive in, im always greeted with a smile, and a wave, good people there!

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I shoot at Izaac Walton after a very negative experience with Redbrush.

They built new bays last year, and now have 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard bays. More than enough for my needs. I also enjoy the skeet fields and shoot on those at least twice a month. It's a little further, but I don't see me going back to Redbrush ever again.

Last edited:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I guess I'll drive down and check the place out. I used to shoot 3D archery at the old location but I've never been to the new place.

I'm not sure if they still do the 3D archery, but I used to do that also at the Blackhawk Bowhunters club on Yankeetown rd before you get to redbrush & IW. But that was many.... many years ago.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I'm not sure if they still do the 3D archery, but I used to do that also at the Blackhawk Bowhunters club on Yankeetown rd before you get to redbrush & IW. But that was many.... many years ago.
    Me too, I used to belong to Blackhawk back in the '80s and was ate up with archery. I later on developed a bad case of target panic and that ruined archery for me.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    I'm a member of IWL and I'm a frequent guest at Redbrush. If you're primarily a rifle shooter then you can do anything at IWL that you can do at Sugar Ridge out to 200 yrds. They've done a better job in recent years of upkeep on the boards that you tack the targets to but I have been a time or two when it was hard to place 4 consecutive staples. Overall, I like the members and facilities. IWL is a scattergun paradise with international trap houses, skeet and sporting clays. It is family friendly, offers fishing and other events including my personal favorite-Trade Day. So for the average rifle hunter and wingshooter, I give it a big thumbs up! For defensive and competitive handgun shooting, the Redbrush facility and rules are far more conducive to training. However, there's generally a waiting list at Redbrush and you could go to IWL and join today. If you join IWL you pay for a whole year which is a calendar year Jan-Dec with no pro rating. If you join in September there's usually a deal where you get the rest of 2016 for paying your 2017 membership. Either way, it beats driving to Sugar Ridge.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Drove out there ~2 years ago & checked it out. My opinions only:
    1) Ranges were rough/shoddy & not well kept.
    2) Access to range was not car friendly (truck or beater car would be better).

I didn't join, guess RTBA Indoor Range & Sugar Ridge it for me, for now.
    What are you doing now that RTBA is closed?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    What are you doing now that RTBA is closed?
    Wow you’ve raised this thread from the dead! Rtba closed about 2 years ago, and the building has been sold and it’s now reopened under new ownership and a new name “full metal armory”

Top Bottom