Anyone have experience with a Remington 40-X?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    I'm kicking around the idea of picking one up, and I'd love to hear if any of you guys have experience with em, and and if they're really worth the premium. I'm looking at a used 7.62 nato rifle, what say you?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I would like to help you but the only 40x I have experience with is the USMC .22

They are great shooters and they don't get the premium just for the name as Remlin has drug that through the mud

I never shot one that couldn't shoot better than I could with the right ammo

I am a sucker for the 7.62 NATO and despite the book data it can out preform the commercial loads and sky is the limit with self loads

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That was the standard rifle for NRA National Match shooting for people that liked Remingtons. Mo Delfina used to shoot a lot of good scores with his. Most had walnut stocks and then the later 40X b was a composite stock. Heavy rifles, good accuracy. .308 was common. Every one I ever shot was tricked out for competition, as they were owned by Highpower competitors. I was a model 70 Winchester fan, but nothing wrong with a 40x Remington.

I have seen them set up as benchrest rifles also.

As far as value, 40X models in good shape used to be pretty expensive, I have not looked at one in a decade. A good model 700 action, with a top shelf barrel fitted to something like an H&S precision stock and a drop in Timney trigger will take you there without the price. You will just not be able to say "I have a 40x". That used to be a little prestigious

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm kicking around the idea of picking one up, and I'd love to hear if any of you guys have experience with em, and and if they're really worth the premium. I'm looking at a used 7.62 nato rifle, what say you?
    I own a few, a stainless short action single shot in 300 WM, a carbon 222 single shot and a 7.62 repeater for High Power.
    I shot F class with the 300 WM, its sitting in a heavy McMillan.
    Years ago I passed on a 40X repeater in 22lr. That was a huge mistake.
    Money well spent.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My Palma gun is a .308 40X. I've been thinking about turning it back into an across the course gun. The 40X accommodates stripper clips for the rapids. A stripper clip guide can be bolted to a 700 action. It works but I think it's clunky.

FWIW, I have never heard of a 7.62 NATO 40X. They are .308 target rifles. And other calibers.....

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_221605663.jpg
      IMG_20200317_221605663.jpg
      164.3 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:
    Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My Palma gun is a .308 40X. I've been thinking about turning it back into an across the course gun. The 40X accommodates stripper clips for the rapids. A stripper clip guide can be bolted to a 700 action. It works but I think it's clunky.

FWIW, I have never heard of a 7.62 NATO 40X. They are .308 target rifles. And other calibers.....
    What stock is that on your 40X ?

And you are right about the screw on stripper clip guides. Since they sit higher, the dimples in the stripper clips are not in the right place and the rounds come loose before it is really in the magazine slot. I milled all my Winchesters to the exact dimensions of a 30-06 Springfield. That worked perfectly.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What stock is that on your 40X ?

And you are right about the screw on stripper clip guides. Since they sit higher, the dimples in the stripper clips are not in the right place and the rounds come loose before it is really in the magazine slot. I milled all my Winchesters to the exact dimensions of a 30-06 Springfield. That worked perfectly.
    Fred Sinclair gave that to me and swore me to secrecy just before he sold out to Brownells. It was one of his experimental chassis. It's a really great setup.

Since his demise, I'm not sure that I have to keep his secrets. He certainly won't be building any more chassis's

And I remember very well your hammering model 70 long range gun. I think I was using a 260 Remington out of a model 70 at the time. I was still figuring out long range. It shot very well. I did not

And don't assume that I've figured out long range. I'm a horrible reader of wind. Even after decades. Of trying...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom