Anyone here have any experience with building a green house?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm considering building a green house. Ideally I'd like to get into the aquaponics at some point, but I want to be able to start off by being able to grow some food in a green house year round.

Have any of you built a greenhouse out of a kit, or did you buy the materials and make your own design? I'm interested in learning more.

indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    i'm ready to do the same, but i think i'd rather design it myself than buy a kit. i've been thinking about using tent poles and stakes to start with just to make a basic structure then adding to it along the way.:dunno: obviously i need to learn more as well...

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Just throwing this out there, if you are in need of some junk windows for the glass... I have a couple for the cause.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm on the fence about the kits versus building my own from scratch. Whatever I build I'd want it to able to stand up year round and withstand the elements. Some of those kits look pretty tempting except for the prices, and other look like a strong breeze would blow them over. On the other hand building one yourself that's actually sturdy isn't exactly going to be the cheapest project out there either. When you try to consider scrounging around for all the parts and pieces I think the amount of time being spent on that has to come into play. I don't want to spend my time finding scrap pieces and making them fit, I'd rather get everything bought and built so I can start growing food.

Interesting websites for anyone who's interested:
    Greenhouse Kits, Commercial Greenhouse, Greenhouse System, Polycarbonate Greenhouse, Backyard Greenhouse, Greenhouse Tunnels, Professional Greenhouses, Greenhouse Packages, Professional Greenhouse Kits, Small Greenhouse - FarmTek

Worm

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I was the facilities mgr for an urban greenhouse on south Meridian for a bit. I started there after working in another greenhouse for a while. We got together and started from the ground up. I helped design/ build the watering system etc. Keep in mind these were 2- 60' x 40' commercial grade buidlings so the time, money and equipment were way beyond what the normal hobbist would want or need.
    I'm not sure how much I could help you with as this was 10 years ago but if I have anything to add I'll chime in.

Bob

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I built my indoor greenhouse to start my seedlings sooner come planting time.

I made it out of a spare free standing wire shelving unit I had laying around (kind of like this one...http://www.menards.com/main/storage-organization/garage-outdoor-organization/freestanding-storage/5-shelf-steel-shelving-kit/p-1468732-c-13051.htm).

Then bought some florescent shop lights (like this 2-Light 48" Fluorescent Shoplight at Menards). Put a standard cool light bulb and an aquarium plant light bulb in each.

Bought small desktop fans to put on each shelf for air circulation. Then draped a thick black plastic sheeting over it to keep in all of the light and warmth. If I didn't, it would look like I had a pot grow going. LOL.

The thing I like about using shelves is that I start them on the top shelf and as they grow I progressively move them down the shelves. Each shelf has the lights higher and higher but it's always a few inches within the top of the plants for optimum growth.

Hooked up all of the lights and fans to a surge protector and a timer, and it takes care of itself except watering.
    http://www.menards.com/main/storage...helf-steel-shelving-kit/p-1468732-c-13051.htm

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I watched with curiosity as a local resident "built" a greenhouse c. 8x12 from a kit. It has a metal frame with 2x plexiglass panels. It lost 4+/- panels during the first storm that I did not even realize occurred. In a matter of 2 wks, 1/3 of the panels had blown out and the rest are horribly warped.

As with most things, I would say you get what you pay for. If you look at something and cannot figure out how it will endure a light wind (as I stated to my better half), chances are it won't.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    He built this based off of these plans(modified for more height)for less than $100.http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/postharv/green/small_greenhouse.pdf
    2qlea79.jpg

Found the original authors thread here.Here is my hand built 16x40 house off grid - Survivalist Forum

It is on our list this year as well for summer projects.I like his design,and already have most of the materials.We will probably go twice the length though.A greenhouse is nearly a must have up here with the very short growing season.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I noticed harbour freight, had 6x8 green house in their ad for $199.

Here it is on their website.

Small Greenhouse Kit - 6 Ft. x 8 Ft.
    The HF greenhouse works but definitely needs to have the panels held in place by more than the clips they supply. If using just the clips the panels will blow out and they aren't cheap to replace if they can't be found. The common solution (found on a forum that covers the HF greenhouse in depth) is to use the metalized duct tape and tape all the edges from the inside. I've done this with mine and it has held up fine. The only issue is that due to the severe heat/cold cycles it does need to be reapplied from time to time.

If you find it on sale and can use a 20% off coupon on top of that then it's not a bad deal for a confined space.

Oh, and it's a royal PITA to assemble. :):

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Great tip, on the 20% off coupon, $160 would make it a great deal.

Speaking of; what is better, a green house like harbor freight's, or a metal rack/flouresent light system in the basement?

Top Bottom