Anyone Shot the Chiappa Spencer Replica Yet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have an Armi Sport 1865 Spencer in 45 Schofield. It is a blast to shoot but it took a lot of work to get it to run smooth enough to use it for CAS. You cannot run them as fast as a normal lever gun. Hammer to half cock, run the lever, hammer to full cock, sight and shoot, repeat. Smooth and steady on the lever. They are very particular about the OAL and shape of the bullet. Once you find the OAL and bullet shape they like they are fun. I shoot a full case of APP in my loads for it. It is accurate enough at 100 yards but I had to open up the rear site to be able to see through it. They stopped making the 45 schofield models and were supposed to have worked out the issues with the 45 Colt models but some people are having the same issues. I like the 45 schofield model because I can get 8 rounds in the tube so I only have to load 2 over the top in a normal stage.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, I shot it. When it fired, I loved it.

Man, did I ever WANT to like it. Barrel became unthreaded and it was . . . "problematic" loading it, lever would stick down. The magazine follower was stuck, a coat of Strike Hold seemed to resolve this issue.

I am told these are ammo sensitive and I was shooting Remington .45LC. I am told the Magtech loads are optimal, don't know if this is OAL-related or rim thickness or elf magic or what.

Man, I sooo wanted to like this thing.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Bummer! I was hoping to see a good range report on this also. I was a bit skeptical since it's Chiappa and it might just be a case of a finicky firearm that just need a little attention. Although with the report I'd be hard pressed to buy one.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This one was shipped to a noted gun writer so I anticipate the problems being corrected quickly.

I just hope word gets back, in Italian, to Beretta QC. Got to keep the engineers busy. "Ok, here's the list of problems.":D

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I hope they get this worked out and do justice to the Spencer design. For some reason I just find the Spencer appealing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It means Kirk is confused.

It should read "Armi QC (Armi Quality Control back in Italy)" but I wrote Beretta.

I think what happened is that I was thinking Uberti . . . but sometimes it is really hard to know what I am thinking.:D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It means Kirk is confused.

It should read "Armi QC (Armi Quality Control back in Italy)" but I wrote Beretta.

I think what happened is that I was thinking Uberti . . . but sometimes it is really hard to know what I am thinking.:D

It's OK Kirk! We understand that you were momentarily overwhelmed with proper nouns ending in vowels! :):

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Well, I shot it. When it fired, I loved it.

Man, did I ever WANT to like it. Barrel became unthreaded and it was . . . "problematic" loading it, lever would stick down. The magazine follower was stuck, a coat of Strike Hold seemed to resolve this issue.

I am told these are ammo sensitive and I was shooting Remington .45LC. I am told the Magtech loads are optimal, don't know if this is OAL-related or rim thickness or elf magic or what.

Man, I sooo wanted to like this thing.

Honestly...not surprised.

I've read more than one report of their stuff (from the Rhino revolver to their .22LR 1911 to their little Chipmunk .22 being....junk).

I've mentally put them in at a full step below Taurus.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I had been wanting one of the Spencer Clones for a number of years.. But it seems a large majority of the guns do have feeding issues & trigger issues out of the box.. And then you read where the owner takes extra time and efforts to fix the gun up so it will work better.. Over the years one thing I have seen on gunbroker, when a former owner is listing a Spencer clone, 9 times out of 10 the owner has never even shot the gun... Make you wonder if they tried to shoot it and encountered issues and then just decided to resell it "unfired".

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have an original in No. 56 Spencer rimfire. Well, technically. Now it's No. 56 Spencer centerfire. Due to the scarcity of Spencer brass, I had to cut down 50-70 Government cases and have bullets cast in an old Lyman mold. I've got 25 black powder rounds ready to go, but haven't got up the nerve to shoot them yet.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom