Anyone use electronic hearing protection while hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I do sometimes, depending on which gun I am using.

The ones I use are just inexpensive Caldwell muffs. Stereo sound and nothing special.

Josh <><

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    this actually a quite "sound" idea. the added aural range and sensitivity of electronic muffs will help you hear game as it approaches. plus, hearing protection is vital. even one round can damage your hearing.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    this actually a quite "sound" idea. the added aural range and sensitivity of electronic muffs will help you hear game as it approaches. plus, hearing protection is vital. even one round can damage your hearing.

Just don't use Peltor Tac6s. Your hearing will be worse than with nothing at all.

Radians cranked all the way up, you will be hearing bugs eat (same goes for Sordins). :D

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I am definitely wearing my Pro-amp muffs this deer season. I had plain Jane muffs last year, they were on my head but not on my ears and I couldnt put them on cuz I didnt want to spook the dear. Took the shot with my 460 magnum and couldnt hear for a couple days. Heard ringing for a week or two.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have heard that the Howard Leight IMPACT are a little more robust than the TAC6, so I decided to go with those. They should be here in the next few days. I also have a cheap pair of Caldwells and hope they do not have the annoying buzz that the Caldwells have. (I am pretty sensitive to annoying sounds, because I have spent too much time trying to listen for and eliminate it when doing audio recording work.) I have already seen with the Caldwells that you can hear things you otherwise would not. I think that will be a benefit hunting.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I have heard that the Howard Leight IMPACT are a little more robust than the TAC6, so I decided to go with those. They should be here in the next few days. I also have a cheap pair of Caldwells and hope they do not have the annoying buzz that the Caldwells have. (I am pretty sensitive to annoying sounds, because I have spent too much time trying to listen for and eliminate it when doing audio recording work.) I have already seen with the Caldwells that you can hear things you otherwise would not. I think that will be a benefit hunting.

I just used mine for the first time at Atterbury a few weeks ago. These are 'da bomb!!!! I predict you'll love 'em!!! :rockwoot:
    :cheers:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The other thing I forgot to mention with the Caldwells that supposedly is not and issue with the TAC6 or Impact is the time of cut off. The Caldwells cut out the shot and another full second of sound before they come back. No reason other than cheap electronics for this. All that is needed is a quicker clipping circuit. They probably just use a triggered capacitor or similar for timing because it is cheaper.

kec2306

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Franklin
    A GREAT Idea I wouldnt go without them. But again having hearing loss I respect the noises and protect what I have and these are GREAT!!!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I now can give a glowing review of the Impact. I did not get any squirrel, but I had a great 3 mile hike over various terrain. I could hear about 3x better than normal hearing, with the volume up. I shot a few rounds to verify zero and the cut out is nice and short. I could not be happier with them. When I am firing the .44 Mag, I am sure they will be much more needed than using the .22.

Top Bottom