• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    i am wanting to replace my ar that was stolen but want to upgrade to an ar 10 might possibly even do my first sbr. i wanting to the the find the in between of accuracy prolly no more then 200 yds and something that is short and compact if i ever had to use it in close quarters that it would be manageable. maybe its just a dream but looking for good places to buy parts reasonably that are good quality and reliable. kinda wanting to do my own build so i can do piece by piece and get what i want and paycheck to paycheck also a lil here a lil there. any ideas or advice or pics. never done an sbr but theres always time for a first right?

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    Its cheaper and easier to get the Troy Industries modular chassis and install any M14 you can find with bad wood and good metal. They do great things and are more reliable in the field. Personally though, I don't think you need a .308 round to do what you are wanting to do. I'd just build an M4 as the carbine will be better for home defense, especially with a mag of BTHP's like the Marine Corp is switching to. That platform will easily reach out to 200 yards. The parts availability will offer plenty of flexibility on suppliers and therefore cost. Just don't skimp too much on the important parts and you should be able to build a great rifle that way.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    a standard m4 will easily be accurate to 200 yards...not sure why you're looking for 308 for your purposes considering difference in cost......308 is meant for longer distances with better accuracy, but the 5.56 can easily obtain 500 yard shot with iron sights....let alone any optics

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    I am well aware of the capabilty of the 5.56 it just one of those have to have a .308 urges. 200 yds os prolly the furthest i would be shooting it

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've come to realize, around the burbs here, there's hardly anyplace I can see 200yd, nevermind having to shoot that far. So, rioters get the M4. If I see blue helmets, out comes the HK91. Not that I'm expecting to see either, mind you.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    It's definitely not inexpensive, but have you considered an M1A SOCOM? Or are you wanting to stick to the AR platform?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    First I would suggest buying the Armalite AR-10 if you are wanting a good .308/7.62 battle rifle.

Next for best prices on complete rifles; I think buds guns usually has the best prices. Even cheaper are the Eagle Arms AR-10 (same company sans chrome lining).

If you want to buy piece by piece then I suggest checking out 762SASS.com :: www.762sass.com

M1A/M14 has nothing on the AR-10 platform. I own and shoot both platforms.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    The Armalites are good rifles. Shot a friend's and really liked it.

I had a DPMS AP4 in .308 and it functioned well. My brother has the sportical version. It's less expensive (relatively) and lacks a forward assist but so far it's been an excellent rifle for him.

Question on the Eagle Arms: with proper maintenance, how crucial is the chrome lined barrel, or lack thereof? I've read plenty of manufacturers' sales pitches but haven't heard too much end-user input. Thanks.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I haven't shot an AR-10 variant, but I have been eyeballing the Rock River LAR-8 for a couple of months. How do these stack up to Armalite or DPMS?

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I don't think there is such a thing as a Rock River that's anything other than quality is there? They seem to put out a top notch product.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Forward assist was kind of a kludge around the early problems caused mostly by using the wrong powder, if I recall. I've never actually needed to use one. Don't worry too much about it.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    The Armalites are good rifles. Shot a friend's and really liked it.

I had a DPMS AP4 in .308 and it functioned well. My brother has the sportical version. It's less expensive (relatively) and lacks a forward assist but so far it's been an excellent rifle for him.

Question on the Eagle Arms: with proper maintenance, how crucial is the chrome lined barrel, or lack thereof? I've read plenty of manufacturers' sales pitches but haven't heard too much end-user input. Thanks.

It's your call on the chrome lining. Either will serve you well. If you are going to be shooting steel and surplus then get the lined model.

The Armalite will have a lifetime warranty and the Eagle is only a year IIRC.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Have owned several AR 10's. The short "T" model was very accurate as well as the fullsize. Think sub moa there. Also they have an out of the box M4 style that shoots about 3" at 100. Never had any problem with functioning. The thing with the SOCOM, of which I also had, was the action is 1940's technology, muzzle blast was horrendous accuracy wasn't any better than my AR 10 and the ergonomics with scope or RDS were terrible. You can get better quality with a Larue which will cost you accordingly but it may be worth it to you. If you're just plinking then any manufacturer will do. :twocents:

Bob

Top Bottom