• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    It certainly cant hurt, for no more extra than they cost now a days, But don't shy a way from a Phosphate coated BCG. They will serve you just fine.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nope. Lurk the M4carbine board. NiB bolts are susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement and can have decreased cycles to failure compared to a good (BCM, Colt, LMT, Rainier, etc...) mil-spec bolt. I'll personally stick with mil-spec bolts. They're slightly more of a pain to clean, but I'll take that for the increased reliability.

Carriers.....Do whatever you want. Coat them in unicorn blood or whatever the current coating of the month is if you so desire. But a mil-spec carrier will run fine as well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Nope. Lurk the M4carbine board. NiB bolts are susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement and can have decreased cycles to failure compared to a good (BCM, Colt, LMT, Rainier, etc...) mil-spec bolt. I'll personally stick with mil-spec bolts. They're slightly more of a pain to clean, but I'll take that for the increased reliability.

Carriers.....Do whatever you want. Coat them in unicorn blood or whatever the current coating of the month is if you so desire. But a mil-spec carrier will run fine as well.

Nope. Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I think this about says it. After seeing the problems with Nib-X Glocks and reading about embrittled BCGs, I just gotta ask: WHY? Exactly what problem is being experienced that this coating will hopefully remedy? Hard to clean?

If clean was the most important thing, nobody would run a DI gun instead of a piston gun.

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville

I have yet to see anything in unicorn blood..lol But I will be on the look out...lol

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I never have that much trouble cleaning my standard phosphate-coated BCG's. I just spray the crap out of them with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and then re-lube with Slip 2000 EWL. The carbon fouling is just blasted right off and the gun runs great. I don't get too anal about scraping carbon off of the tail of the bolt like some do, though.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I never have that much trouble cleaning my standard phosphate-coated BCG's. I just spray the crap out of them with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and then re-lube with Slip 2000 EWL. The carbon fouling is just blasted right off and the gun runs great. I don't get too anal about scraping carbon off of the tail of the bolt like some do, though.

Yeah well 4yrs in the Corps will teach you a few tricks to get your weapon clean, some of which I still use to this day.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I look at it like some people put cheap tires on a car and some put the best they can find on a car. The bolt that is coated seems to run fine in the one I have it in and the standard ones do too. The only advantage I see is it's easer to clean and it seems to run smoother than the standard B.C.G.. If you prefer it slides better or smoother than the non coated ones. I also plan to buy one of the ultra light B.C.G. that are coated to see how they work.

I don't think any one said that there was ever a problem with the old style B.C.G. it is just that people try and improve on anything that is over fifty years old. In the past fifty years there is so many coatings that have come out. One has to be better than what was started with.

If you feel that there is no reason for improvement on the AR then don't buy the stuff that comes out. Then you might want to drive the old model A. You know no AC, very little power and the ride is like riding in a buggy. I don't see anyone complaining about improving on it. So why shouldn't the AR be improved on?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yes they are worth it. If you buy a nickel boron bcg and it starts chipping then you didn't buy from a good manufacturer. As the finish wears on these it only gets better.
    Now chrome plated that's a different story and does chip and crack.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Who cleans their BCG's? I've a NiBx BCG and 5 or 6 mil-spec BCGs, don't know which cleans up better because I haven't tried since I bought the NiBx? Haven't cleaned the mil-specs in quite a bit, when they start slowing down, I'll hose them off, relube, and keep on keeping on!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hell, my one non mil-spec rifle, Sig M400 has near 7K through it, and hasn't seen a patch, just more lube. I'm trying to make it break on purpose, but the damned thing won't quit so far!?!

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I look at it like some people put cheap tires on a car and some put the best they can find on a car. The bolt that is coated seems to run fine in the one I have it in and the standard ones do too. The only advantage I see is it's easer to clean and it seems to run smoother than the standard B.C.G.. If you prefer it slides better or smoother than the non coated ones. I also plan to buy one of the ultra light B.C.G. that are coated to see how they work.

I don't think any one said that there was ever a problem with the old style B.C.G. it is just that people try and improve on anything that is over fifty years old. In the past fifty years there is so many coatings that have come out. One has to be better than what was started with.

If you feel that there is no reason for improvement on the AR then don't buy the stuff that comes out. Then you might want to drive the old model A. You know no AC, very little power and the ride is like riding in a buggy. I don't see anyone complaining about improving on it. So why shouldn't the AR be improved on?

That is kind of what I am wanting to do..just make some small upgrades.

Top Bottom