• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcwolf200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    I bought an AR-15 Carbine several months back with the A2 upper. It is a Bushmaster with a chrome lined barrel and 1:9 twist. I recently have started shooting at 100-200 yards and have trouble really seeing the target with the A2 iron sights.

I am thinking of getting an A3 upper and putting a scope on it. That way I could put the A2 carry handle on it if I wanted iron sights. This is my first AR and I am fairly new to this. What do I need to know and what should I look for? Any brands to stay away from? Budget is kinda limited and this will be for plinking.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Let me start by saying I am NO AR expert as I've only had mine a couple of months. After listening to several here I was convinced not to get an A2 upper which was what I was looking at. Ended up going with an A3.

They do make scope mounts for the A2. I read they say it mounts the scope too high, and alot of scopes don't have enough adjustment to bring it down enough to compensate. They do sell them so they must work. I was looking at a Leatherwood mount for the A2, and it appeared it only raised the scope an 1" or so above the iron sights.

As far as upper "brands" go, it dosen't seem to happen here so much but AR snobs will tell you to stay away from Olympic Arms. Some do not care for DPMS which I have. Personally I have no problem with mine.

Don't know what your budget is but Palmetto State Armory has a 14.5" M4 A3 upper complete with BCG and charging handle for $399.

:twocents:

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I say if you are plinking get whatever upper you want. Just keep it cleaned and lubed. Or wait for a gun show and get one at a reasonable price. The Iron sights are a pain on an AR15 even at 50 yards kinda to me but I haven't been shooting my AR much since I got it.

Top Bottom