• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    I have a boggle im hoping ya'all can help me with. Should i build a AR pistol or a AR rifle. I have built a rifle 16in barrel once before. This time if i go rifle i would like to try my hand at a 20in barrel and go for accuracy. On the other hand i think a AR pistol might be rather fun, get the arm brace and all. As it stands the pistol will be a extra $30 tacked on to the final cost of the parts i found. I alrady picked up a Anderson lower and a DPMS LPK. I still have a left over stock from my last AR rifle build to save some cash, if i go the rifle route.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IMO the only reason to have a AR pistol is if you are planning on SBRing it. They are not that enjoyable to shoot. Though, now that the Sig brace has been released it probably would not be as bad to shoot.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Build a pistol if you want a short barrel, a rifle if you want a l4.5" or longer barrel. You can SBR the pistol if you would like to pay the tax stamp eventually, but keep in mind that a pistol/SBR with a shorter barrel reduces the "effective range" of the 5.56 very dramatically (retaining velocities over 2700 fps).

On a side note, always be sure to include bacon as a choice when posting a poll. :ingo:

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I just finished building a 7.5" pistol and I find it suits my needs very well. I wanted something that was easily transportable and would be used for home/office/vehicle defense all <100 yards. I never really shoot past 200 yards ever so my 16" AR wasn't getting fully utilized, and the weight/length savings is pretty awesome. It's pretty loud but putting a Noveske KX3 (or similar, I know ICE Arms makes a similar muzzle device for a fraction of the cost) it tones it down quite a bit. The Sig Brace is a requirement though, however they're on eBay right now for $108 shipped new, which is a nice price drop compared to other places. I really hope the ATF leaves those alone...

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    But if you're dead set on only doing 1 at the moment, go the pistol route. It's fun to have an AR that small.

KAK enhanced tube and Sig PSB is a must though

^^This with the KAK tube. I was going this route but my SBR stamp came 5 months earlier than expected.

Last edited:

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    Thanks for the advice sofar. ya i forgot bacon. Next poll i swear. soon as the polls times up in 29 days ill order. gives me abit time to save. uppers arent cheap. the ones im looking at are pre shipping Pistol:$432.99 Rifle: $419.97

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    I am looking at damage industries for my pistol buffer tube. Made in Indiana. anyone have any advice on places to look for pistol complete uppers that are decent but under say $500? Same with AR uppers.

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    I love and shoot my pistol more than my 16". I run mine without a brace, I didn't think it helped much and it made my little concealable pistol bigger. I am building another in 300BLK because it'll have a shorter barrel and still have plenty of range. I think 300BLK really meets the purpose of having a small ar. Place the buffer tube in between your collar bone and ball of your shoulder, nose to the charging handle, and place the rear sights at t2 or t3***, rock and roll:rockwoot:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    The great thing about the AR platform is the versatility. From what I understand, you can get a 5.56, .223, 6.5 Grendel, .300BLK, and so many more rounds, and shoot them from the same lower.

Top Bottom