• ...and so much more!
  • CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    My dad left me an Armalite AR-10. I hadn’t got a chance to shoot it yet but I was picking up a magpul magazine here and there. I figured 7.62x51 mags would fit. I figured wrong. I went in my favorite gun store and they couldn’t tell me if it was an AR-10A or AR-10B and they didn’t have any magazines that fit. Can you guys tell from this photo if its an A or B? Once I figure that out should I search for “Armalite AR-10A magazine?” I guess they are uncommon. I didn’t know that. I will now be on the lookout gun shows. Anyone know where I can find a good deal on some mags?

Also I’m going to have to buy another Rifle for all these magazines I bought :). Im noticing 7.62/.308 rifles are not cheap. The guy at the gun store said you have to buy the upper and lower together because there isn’t a standard and two different brands generally don’t fit together. I suggested building one like an AR-15 but I guess it’s not that simple.

Steel Mag (right) fits. Plastic mag (left) doesn’t even start to go in the mag well.

0875fd72f7a3a857cb9a779fe9a17432.jpg

8f767a0f4b4d70782d1009e096a64beb.jpg

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    armalite has there own ballgame on parts and mags, you can build on the dpms platform and most parts will interchange like i said if it says dpms platform then the availability of different manufacturers parts are plentiful. i have little faith in gun store know how have heard to much bull **** spouted by the" used car sellers"

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    If the Magpul mag will work, it is a A. The B models dont accept them. If you're trying to put a A model upper or lower on a B model upper or lower it won't work as they are two different animals. What does the role mark on the lower say?

Last edited:

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    If the Magpul mag wont work, it is a A. The B models dont accept them. If you're trying to put a A model upper or lower on a B model upper or lower it won't work as they are two different animals. What does the role mark on the lower say?

Found this..

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    There are two different AR-10As on both sides of the B. How stupid is that! Im still only pretty sure its a B. The one on Forgotten Weapons is clearly marked AR-10B and mine isn’t marked. Its marked “7.62”

I finally found an AR-10B magazine at the magshack for $35. Its only 10rd. I don’t mind to pay up for a couple but I want the big ones and they are all out of stock everywhere. I got one while they still had one to get. Hope it fits.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    The Israelites used AR-10 "Rodesian Special" rifles, sawed the carry handle and welded on a picatinny rail.
    This was well after the Rodesian wars, so probably old stock they sold Israel.
    They used this for a semi-auto sniper rifle.
    (Probably where the flat top upper came from)

ArmaLite used a modified M14 magazine at one time, haven't handled one since I laid hands on a SR-25.

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    I found the auction for the one on Forgotten Weapons and the serial number starts with US and has same number of digits. My number being about half of the one in the video. So I guess its at least a B. Is it “pre-ban” and thus more valuable? I wouldn’t consider selling it but I would like to know its value.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    I’m an Armalite junkie, have been since the late 90s. You have B and depending on when your rifle was made you might have to upgrade the BHO to work with the current Gen 2 B mags. There are 2 generations of B mags and 2 generations of BHO. Gen 1 was basically a modified m14 mag with half of the lug milled away and there was a spring activated plunger inside the follower that activated the BHO. The gen1 mags were made during the AWB.

Gen 2 mags came out after the AWB expired, they look like an M14 mag but with a spine down the back like an AR mag and the plunger is omitted from the design. These mags are made by Checkmate for Armalite. I find the B mags to be very high quality and they will out last you and certainly a Pmag. I would suggest calling Armalite to see what they have in stock, their website sucks and doesn’t always reflect what’s in inventory. I doubt they have any 20 rounders in stock but you might get lucky and score some 15s or 25s. Also keep an eye out on Arfcom in the EE, they pop up from time to time.

Last edited:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I would doubt that it's preban as it has the flat top reciever and clamp-on flat top gas block. IIRC the preban has the A2 style carrying handle reciever and the pinned A-frame type gas block. Also it wont have a FA if its preban. A quick call to Armalite should give you the answer.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I’m an Armalite junkie, have been since the late 90s. You have B and depending on when your rifle was made you might have to upgrade the BHO to work with the current Gen 2 B mags. There are 2 generations of B mags and 2 generations of BHO. Gen 1 was basically a modified m14 mag with half of the lug milled away and there was a spring activated plunger inside the follower that activated the BHO. The gen1 mags were made during the AWB.

Gen 2 mags came out after the AWB expired, they look like an M14 mag but with a spine down the back like an AR mag and the plunger is omitted from the design. These mags are made by Checkmate for Armalite. I find the B mags to be very high quality and they will out last youand certainly a Pmag. I would suggest calling Armalite to see what they have in stock, their website sucks and doesn’t always reflect what’s in inventory. I doubt they have any 20 rounders in stock but you might get lucky and score some 15s or 25s. Also keep an out of Arfcom in the EE, they pop up from time to time.
    I couldn't have said it any better...lol

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I have a "b" nm lower, and looking for a matching upper. In the meantime I found the mags at gunshows fairly regularly. Otherwise Ghostface nailed it.

Top Bottom