• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Tagged for later viewing. I enjoy cooking and am fascinated by how basic tasks were done in past eras. I recently discovered the Jas. Townsend & Sons channel on Youtube which is basically an 18th century/colonial era cooking show.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    In Jerky Gravy I see they recommend 'fry the jerky till done'...I thought jerky was pretty much already 'done'. Maybe they mean fry the jerky till it looks like meat again.

Thanks for the link, neat stuff.

My uncle still likes 'Coffee Soup' that he 'ate' during the Youuuuge Depression. Take weak coffee, pour over saltine crackers with some sugar. Enjoy.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I've actually made civil war era "hard tack biscuits" before. They were the standard issue MRE of the day...lol
    All they are is a simple mixture of flour, salt, and water. Cut the dough into squares and bake them until they're done. Store them in a sock with a jar of beef bullion cubes... can make beef broth n biscuits, for daily rations. Yum yum...lol

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    In Jerky Gravy I see they recommend 'fry the jerky till done'...I thought jerky was pretty much already 'done'. Maybe they mean fry the jerky till it looks like meat again.

Thanks for the link, neat stuff.

My uncle still likes 'Coffee Soup' that he 'ate' during the Youuuuge Depression. Take weak coffee, pour over saltine crackers with some sugar. Enjoy.

Sure thing! I hadn't seen anything like this posted yet, thought I'd start this thread 'coz I like cookin' too!

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    thanks for the link. some stuff sounds really good, lots of butter and ive been looking for a new calf's head soup recipe with more onion than carrots.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've actually made civil war era "hard tack biscuits" before. They were the standard issue MRE of the day...lol
    All they are is a simple mixture of flour, salt, and water. Cut the dough into squares and bake them until they're done. Store them in a sock with a jar of beef bullion cubes... can make beef broth n biscuits, for daily rations. Yum yum...lol

I've got a cornbread recipe from the same era that I grew up on. I still cook it in my late grandmother's cast iron skillet. And its just about as simple. Cornmeal, a little salt, cut in a little bacon grease into the mix. Add some boiling water to the mix until it forms a ball. Flatten it and fry it in bacon grease and then serve with butter and honey.

Its an acquired taste thats for sure. But I love it.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I've got a cornbread recipe from the same era that I grew up on. I still cook it in my late grandmother's cast iron skillet. And its just about as simple. Cornmeal, a little salt, cut in a little bacon grease into the mix. Add some boiling water to the mix until it forms a ball. Flatten it and fry it in bacon grease and then serve with butter and honey.

Its an acquired taste thats for sure. But I love it.

Ummmm....you had me at bacon grease squared!!!!

Top Bottom