• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have a few custom lapped, air gauged barrels. That is not something I would want to undertake. It takes a lot of strength and time to do it by hand. Boots Obermyer is the only person I have ever known who was physically capable of doing it by hand. Everybody else does it with machines. They then check the work with the air gauge because uniformity is just as important. Maybe more important.

David Tubb's Final Finish system makes it easy to even bring back a rough throat for a few hundred more rounds for us mere mortals that have regular arms and a life to live. Shooting his abrasive bullets can maybe help a rifle. Far easier than hand lapping. just load the bullets with his instructions and shoot them.

Without endorsement, here is the website. http://www.davidtubb.com/final-finish-tms

I have only used the system for a 22LR. It helped. A lot.

I have a .30 caliber bullet kit somewhere around here. I should load them up and see if they help a 1909 Argentine Mauser that I put a new 30.06 standard grade barrel on. I have never been real excited about its accuracy at 300 yards and beyond.

On the other hand, I have long been a fan of JB Bore Paste for REALLY getting a barrel clean. All my barrels get treated with this as soon as accuracy suffers. This stuff does not smooth or remove barrel metal though. It just removes everything else that is in there. Copper, carbon, whatever.

Especially the carbon ring that tends to form a half inch into the AR15 barrel that absolutely destroys accuracy. You can feel it with a tight fitting patch and you can feel it go away with the same patch and JB bore paste.

Kind of a rambling response to your short and concise question. Guilty as charged, I guess.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom