• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    So, I've got a DeSantis belly band Option 4, carry my Walther PPS and a spare mag in it. I like it because I can wear it with anything, including my gym shorts, and it conceals real well.

An issue I have is that often, the round in the spare mag is working its way forward. There's been a couple of times where it worked its way completely out and fell down my pants. This only happens when I've got the gun in the 4 o'clock position, right side carry, ammo pointed to the left, where I carry when I'm walking. This puts the mag right near my hip bone, so I'm guessing that's what's doing it.

Any tips?

I'm thinking a different brand or some alternative for a mag holder.

Thanks in advance

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    While those belly band type holsters are great in most aspects, there are drawbacks such as you plight. Nothing short of changing the position or your pistol, velcro on your skin to ditching the idea altogether. DeSantis makes a great holster in leather / kydex but might not have thought this thru in rotational relationships of loads.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    There was a leo/instructor with Centrifuge Dynamics that took the Sage dynamics class as an attendee I was at a couple weeks ago. Surprising to me, he had a belly band setup. It was impressive and he was easily the best shooter, by a fair margin, I've ever witnessed with my own eyes. I'll look at my notes and see what it was when I get home but my point is that apparently there are belly bands out there that can be considered for serious work.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm not comfortable with a soft belly band for striker-fired handguns with no manual safety (so-called). Not enough trigger protection, imho.

However, there are belly bands that have provisions for rigid inserts that over come this issue. Could also try a mag carrier shell with a static line arrangement (or something similar) to provide more protection for the business end of the spare mag. Just some ideas.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm not comfortable with a soft belly band for striker-fired handguns with no manual safety (so-called). Not enough trigger protection, imho.

However, there are belly bands that have provisions for rigid inserts that over come this issue. Could also try a mag carrier shell with a static line arrangement (or something similar) to provide more protection for the business end of the spare mag. Just some ideas.

Hmmm, that could work, a kydex mag holder that inserts into the band.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    No reason you can't modify it. Maybe make a cardboard sleeve for the magazine that is long enough to keep the first round from walking out, and attach it to the belly band somehow.

Top Bottom