• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Lately Ive been carrying my Beretta 92fs inox. Hasnt had any problems till I started carrying it. when the last round is fired the slide doesnt lock back. I believe i just need to stretch the mag springs out. All I have are factory Beretta mags (a 10 and a 15) and I want more mags. Im not all that Beretta savvy but are Mec-Gar mags better? What other accessories are great? I dont intend on Carrying it alot more of a range gun for me as I carry an XDM 45 usually so im not to worried about an accessory being to ridiculous lol. Is there anything I can do about the trigger in this thing?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    First things first, from a person that has been around guns for a while, stretching springs is a VERY temporary fix. The symptoms of what you are describing could be low impulse ammunition, worn mag springs, worn slide lock or riding the slide lock when shooting with you thumb. Remember, springs are worn out from usage (compress and decompress cycles) NOT from storing it loaded (unless they did not properly heat treat the spring).

Mecgar magazines are up there with the very best. Use them confidently. Stay away from Eagle (though some folks have used them to good success), Promag or others. MDS, factory Beretta and Mecgar (who is an OEM manufacturer for many gun makers) are considered the best for your 92. I have personally had 50/50 performance out of the Novack Beretta mags. CDNN online has some of the best pricing on Beretta mags, second to Bradis Guns here in Indy. :D ;)

Trigger, it has the best factory trigger on the planet. But it needs to be shot. ALOT, to smooth out the trigger work. My "hillbilly gunsmithing" Beretta trigger job is alot like CZ's performance trigger job: replace springs, dry fire the crap out of it and soak the trigger surfaces with oil. Then dry fire the crap out of it again. Compressed air, blow out oil in trigger mating surfaces. Then reoil a ton, dry fire a ton again. :D Repeat as necessary. Gives one a REALLY smooth trigger that Berettas have hidden in there. REMEMBER TO USE SNAP CAPS WITH BERETTAS when dry firing. Not only will the dry firing smooth the trigger but also help your fundamentals and improve your familiarity of the 'retta.

Second, go to Brownells, get a Beretta 92 "D" spring from the double action only Beretta 92 and 96 series. The spring, combined with the smoothed trigger group, will give you a smooth, easy double action with a confidently short and overtravel free Beretta trademark single action. Had some issues with the Wolff springs as you can go too light with them and while have a nice double action, you will get light primer strikes. The "D" spring is the best compromise.

The reason I like Berettas is that you don't have a ton of accessories other than lots of mags and ammo to shoot. Leave the parts catalogue for the Glocks. :D Save your money on gimmicky add ons and get yourself a proper holster for it. A good Beretta 92 holster is worth it's weight in gold and should not be cheaped out on.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You already got some good advice. Buy some high quality replacement magazine springs, like Wolff. You should number your magazines and see which ones don't function as advertised. I use a paint pen to number them. If replacing the magazine springs don't solve the issue, then start looking at ammo, etc. Don't go cheap and stretch the mag springs, just throw them away.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just to reiterate what Disposable Heart said, the only mags you should consider for your Beretta are the factory "PB" marked, MDS which not only currently make the Beretta mags, they mark them almost identically stamping "MDS" where they would otherwise stamp "PB". Mec-gar is the only other mag to consider because, as stated above, they make many "OEM" mags for the various firearm companies.

After the mag spring, check the part of the mag follower that engages the slide lock to make sure it isn't worn out.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I shot a 1911 for years before I got a Beretta. I always shot with a "high thumb" position style grip. I was having the same problem you describe and a friend noticed that it looked like my thumb was actually touching the slide release while the pistol recoiled. I changed my grip a little and have not had a problems since.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I shot a 1911 for years before I got a Beretta. I always shot with a "high thumb" position style grip. I was having the same problem you describe and a friend noticed that it looked like my thumb was actually touching the slide release while the pistol recoiled. I changed my grip a little and have not had a problems since.

It could be user error

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It could be user error

^this^ I carried a 92FS in the service and I never saw one malfunction. I have roughly 1,500 through mine with 0 malfunctons. I only own factory 15 round mags as well. I would have someone else fire it, see if it malfunctions for them. If so, I would send it back to Beretta.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Very possible. I've done this with a new pistol.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I have the same issue when I use the original factory mags, but when I use the mecgar 18 rounders, the slide locksback after the last shot always.

Its the magazines.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I bought this gun new 2 months ago and its had 500 rds through it how can it be worn out?

Granted the mag follower is plastic and they really don't wear out, but they do get damaged and it is possible that one was not formed correctly when it was produced.

If you don't want to blame equipment, I agree with the others as I have seen a few people accidentally keep their thumb against the slid lock preventing it from working. :):

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Ok I cycled the the slide with my 15 round mag empty and it still doesnt lock back I dont have my 10 rounder with me to try it down here so Im going to blame the mag

Top Bottom