• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I was wondering what the best .223 cleaning kit out there is for an AR/M4 style rifle. I have seen a few that have special tools for cleaning the bolt, firing pin like the Otis Bone tool.

Are these tools a waste of money? Should I look for a specific one that works well in a kit or buy a kit with the right brushes and add one.

Thanks

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you're really anal about it, get any kit you want, a one piece carbon rod, and a chamber brush. I take care of my guns, but I'm not super meticulous with cleaning. I bought a small universal kit from Cabela's. Then I added a bore guide, some brushes, a snake, and some basic tools it didn't come with. My kit has grown a bit bigger than what that little bag will hold.

That being said, here's my plan. I'm going to take everything I use from that kit (I never use the 20ga swab..) and lay it on the table and measure some of the larger things with a ruler. Take a count of everything then head to Cabela's and buy a tackle box that's about 50% too big for everything I have. There are still some things I need, or want. It's really the only thing the gun shows are good for (for me anyway) nowadays. Those tables with all the bins of little tools and small parts that most people walk on by are fantastic. You have to know what you're looking at though. Keep a magnet in your pocket to test all the "stainless" stuff you see. But there are some fantastic deals and you can piece together the perfect cleaning kit for every gun you have for about $100. A lot better than a $100 kit that has things you won't use, and missing things you need.

Or for $10, you can buy one of those GI field cleaning kits.....

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Just make sure you have a stiff bristled toothbrush, a chamber brush, and a brass cleaning rod with a bore brush and eyelet. Everything else isn't really necessary. I wouldn't drop 50-60 on one of those Otis kits, or whatever they are going for nowadays. A GI kit has everything you need.

Another great deal is the ones the have on sale for ~$20 at gander/cabelas from time to time. Those will last you for years.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've progressed from an "11B let's clean our weapons for three days straight" to a "wipe it down and run a boresnake through it" mentality. I haven't noticed a drop off in either accuracy or reliability. I do occasionally give them a more detailed cleaning, but that's more to inspect for wear (i.e. gas rings) and tightness (sights, rail, etc. and I use a paint pen for witness marks).

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I got a Winchester universal kit at my LGS. Has bore brushes of several sizes and brass rods. Nice kit really. I would recommend it.

Flyingbrian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    Get a C.A.T. M-4 tool. Greatest thing ever!!! I saw Hickock 45 talking about it, and I went out and ordered it, and it is really an amazing tool. Great for getting the carbon crud off of the BSG.

CAT M4 Tool : AR-15/M15 CAT TOOL | Brownells

Hickock 45 sold me on it too great tool. I thought it was a little pricey until I recieved it an started using it. Worth every penny

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Hickock 45 sold me on it too great tool. I thought it was a little pricey until I recieved it an started using it. Worth every penny

Yeah, it is one of those "genius tools" that just works! Once you see how it is designed and all the things it can do, you just go "Duh!, Why didn't I think of that!"

Top Bottom