• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Hey folks I got a 91/30 and I'm tired of shooting surplus rounds out of it. While they are cheap and I never had a problem with them the crap they leave in their wake in my rifle is just nuts (plus they are corrosive). I've seen a lot of options out there for 7.62x54R ammo, Brown Bear FMJ or SP, Silver Bear FMJ or SP, Winchester, Wolf, etc etc. Which is the Mosin Ammo you shoot? I'm looking into Brown Bear FMJ ammo but I'd like to hear what you use/recommend.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Haven't actually shot it yet but I'm going with Seller and Belloit. Have shot lots of their 9mm and it seems to be good ammo I think I saw boxes of 20 of 54R going for $16.00 at the last Indy 1500. Another thing would be consider getting a bore snake. Just picked up one in .22 for my pistols and rifles including my AR and wish I'd bought one a long time ago!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Try some of the Prvi Partizan I used some of this with a few of the Mosins I had and it shot very well. Or you could always take the plunge and start reloading for it:yesway:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive shot tula and silver bear, and while they aren't corrosive Ive never seen them any more or less clean than any surplus Ive shot. IMO russian ammo, regardless of surplus, cheap commercial stuff, is just dirty ammo.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've picked up Privi and S&B for about the same price. Disclosure: I haven't shot any yet, been picking my "shooter" and my "original" Mosin, but they've gotta be cleaner than Brown Bear, and reloadable brass cases to boot.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks I'll try the Prvi Partizan, and I don't know anything about reloading honestly :(

Reloading is ridiculously simple, really. It's a 3-step process and if you are someone who pays attention to detail, it wouldn't take long before you did not care at all about which factory ammo was best in 7.62x54R.

1) Resize/deprime/prep brass (most time-consuming)

2) Drop suitable amount of a specific powder in case

3) Seat proper bullet to the correct depth

Reloading is not "magic". At it's core, it's remarkably easy and logical. Too many folks confuse the critical nature of doing everything right with those steps being "hard. Look at it this way...there are thousands of idiots out there making perfectly safe and useful ammunition. ;)

Top Bottom