• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Springfield, lower priced colts, used Kimbers. Lots of choices fall in the price range you specified. All would be good choices. Rock Islands should be well within your budget, and leave room to pick up a nice carry rig, practice ammo, magazines, and probably leave a little budget to upgrade the sights and a few other personal touches you want.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I own 27 different 1911's from Wilson's, Les Baer, Colt's Springfield's. Some of them I have paid $3800 to $480. I own 6 Rock Islands, and for your money I would go with the Rock's! Great service, they have a "master gunsmith" working there. (Arnel Bernardo) I would put my Rock Island up next to any other 1911. It is my feelings that the Rock Islands are one of the best kept secrets. Lifetime warranty, parts from Colt's enter-change. Almost all parts require some fitting from a gunsmith. If you ever want some up grades, Arnel in Pahrump Nevada is the man to go too. He has done some great work on several of mine. His checkering is some of the best I have seen, and his fees are very reasonable. Some people swear by them, and others swear at them. I feel for your money, the Rock's are the way to go. If you do decide to purchase one, give me a shout and I can give you some good ideas .... Mike

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I've had a Taurus PT1911 Stainless since 1-2008. 4K rounds, mostly reloads. No regrets. Mine jams with JHP ammo loaded in CMC magazines ONLY. Otherwise, feeds and functions 100%. The plunger tube just started to work loose a couple years ago, and I restaked it with tools from Brownells. Only modification is a pair of black Alumagrips.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've had a Taurus PT1911 Stainless since 1-2008. 4K rounds, mostly reloads. No regrets. Mine jams with JHP ammo loaded in CMC magazines ONLY. Otherwise, feeds and functions 100%. The plunger tube just started to work loose a couple years ago, and I restaked it with tools from Brownells. Only modification is a pair of black Alumagrips.

I need to do the same repair on one of my Colts. Very common.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    It's tough to beat the RIA at that price range....Excellent pistol for the money.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    These two quotes sum it up the best.

Makes/Models worth buying in your desired price range: ($400-$600 ish)
    Rock Island Armory GI/Tactical
    Springfield GI/Mil-spec
    Remington R1
    Para Ordinance
    Taurus (controversial, but like the others, mine was flawless)

Slightly above of your price range but worth holding out for: ($600-$900 ish)
    Ruger SR1911
    Springfield 'Ranger Officer' or 'Loaded'
    Colt (used)
    Sig
    STI (used)
    S&W (used)

Further up there: ($1000+)
    Springfield TRP
    S&W
    STI
    Nicer Colts
    Kimbers
    Custom Makers (Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc)

Like many others, I would recommend saving a little bit more and getting a Springfield or a Sig.

It depends on what you are looking for. RI will go bang when you pull the trigger. You'll pay a little more for features (beaver tail, lowered ejection port, skeletonized trigger/hammer, better sights, etc.) Once you get above a certain price ($1000-$1200?) it's all about fit and finish.

I would like to echo what others have said. Your best bang for the buck is most defiantly the Rock Island. If you want a solid performer with just a few features get a RIA Tactical, use the left over money to buy ammo.

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    I bought my RIA 1911A1 CS two months ago. A officers / compact size 1911 out the door for less than $500!!! I now have somewhere around 500 rounds threw it with no issues.

I didn't care much for the factory wood grips, or the blank Novak style sights. I changed out the grips to a Houge wrap-around style, and had a machinist buddy add some basic machined dots on the factory sights, then painted the machined sights w/ a bright white fishing lure paint!

Cole54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    LaGrange county
    Ruger SR1911 if you can find one...

^ This, my roommate had to wait 5 months to get his. I paid just over $950 for my new sw1911e talo, and I've seen the regular e series right around $800 new. There are a lot of good options out the at decent prices, best advise I can give is go handle as many as you can and see what feels the best to you.

Top Bottom