• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    My dad left me his Winchester Canadian Bicentennial 1867-1967 30-30. He really liked it, but its never been fired. Here in lies the problem. I would love to shoot it! Its in great shape and believe me not going anywhere for sentimental reasons if nothing else. I have no idea what he paid for it and thinking its probably worth somewhere in the $500 range, but I really have no idea. What should I do? Should I take it out and heat it up or let it continue to hibernate? :a r15:

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Me, I don't buy guns that I don't shoot. I was given a shotgun of my Dads and I will never shoot it. It is very old. It's cash value is some where around $400. Dad shot it in turkey shoots and he won with it. I will never fire it. I am to afraid of some thing going wrong. I just keep it clean and oiled. One of my grand kids will get it when I die.

Clay319

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Boone County
    Depends on what you want to do with it. If you are going to sell it, sell it now unfired. It will be worth a bit more as a new gun. If you are going to keep it in the family forever it probably would be better to shoot it. The value to you is that it was your father's, not that it is "new". Shoot and enjoy.

speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    Thank you. Your comments mean alot. This is a connection with my father. He never fired it so just not sure if that is what he would have wanted. It's kind of a tough one for me. I do plan to keep it forever. Does having been fired really devalue the gun ... or are we splitting hairs? He maybe never fired it because shotgun was always his choice to hunt with. Are there rifle laws or rules of thumb in Indiana (because of carry distance)?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well if it is not going anywhere you are probably not worried if by shooting it you loose a little value. It's a connection you have with your Father I say what better way to connect than shoot his former rifle. It's not like you will hurt it by shooting a few rounds or boxes through it from time to time. Your not taking it to a Gunsight carbine course or anything hard on guns etc so you wont hurt it JMHO

A little different case since it was used in the family but I have a 1897 Win 12 ga. It was purchased by my Great Grandfather in the early 1900's (before 1910).
    My Father gave it to me. Yes I hunted with it like he did my grand Father and Great Grandfather did. I still shoot it to this day Not a lot but I do shoot it from time to time and can't help to think about all my family and how many rabbets and squirrel have been taken with this little piece of all of us!

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    The Winchester Comemmerative rifles make great hand me down guns. I would say your $500.00 estimate is pretty close if it's new unfired with the box and all the literature. The thing with these Winchesters, several hundred different models were made over the years beginning in the early 60's. Many people (mostly collectors) bought them with the mind that they would appreciate in value if kept as new and unfired. This was somewhat true except, 99% of them were in fact never fired. So with it becoming easy to find them in this condition, there is seldom a rairity that allowed the price to increase. In other words, most all of them were kept as new.

Most of the ones that really increased in value were the models that had a low qty. production run. Either purchasing a Blue book of gun values or using good ol Google search on the internet will give you lot's of knowledge on the various models produced, production qty. and original MSRP prices and current values.

I have had experience with several of these type rifles over the years. My advise to you is do with it as you are comfortable, shoot it, keep it, sell it, or leave it unfired in the safe and pass it down for other generations to enjoy.

Incidentally, my Dad has a Winchester Cherokee carbine (Canadian issue) 30-30
    That he bought from a LGS in 1978 and it will be passed to me someday. It's also new with the box, paperwork and unfired :D

Learning about these rifles is fun and collecting them can be addictive.

Enjoy! :ingo:

Also, Nice looking Harley Springer Softail in your Avatar :yesway:

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Nice heavy long barrel and very accurate guns. Not your normal walk around 30-30 but the 2 I have shot were great iron sight shooters.

That being said I have almost bought them for myself several times. Both well used and one semi abused. I am telling you these long barreled things can shoot.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I had 1 of these and traded it, regret it. Great shooter , low recoil because of the weight, long sight radius. In really nice shape it should be worth upwards of $800. Check the blue book.

speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks BikerDad! That is some good information. I've never had it out o the case for more than a minute at a time to show off. I think that I will take it out and put a good shine on it.

That being said - what do I use for a good cleaner? I figure anything over the counter is ok, but know some folks have their favorites.

Top Bottom