• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    This is how my daughter OCs while on her bike.
    attachment.php

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I use a kydex IWB, and I'm pretty sure it would stay put if I went down.

Whatever you choose to do, carry! Road rage happens all the time, and when you're on a motorcycle, someone trying to run you over is very much trying to kill you. I did once have a guy chase me (in his truck) into a parking lot and try to run over me for several minutes, and it was only when I produced a firearm that he left.

At the time I was young and didn't give a second thought or even call the police. Fortunately nothing came of it!

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    My EDC is a Glock 42, when I ride, I wear a Sneaky Pete holster. Most people that even look at it, don't realize I'm carrying a gun, mainly because it looks like an oversized cell phone holster.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have used both a CC jacket (inside carry pocket) and a shoulder rig. The should rig is a bit nicer in that it allows access with either hand.

I'm 'lucky' I guess in that I'm a lefty, which means (god forbid) if it became necessary to engage the firearm, I wouldn't have to let loose of the throttle (right grip).

I like the tank bag / holster idea, except for the fact that, every time I'd dismount at a gas station, restaurant, etc. someone is likely to see me retrieve the handgun from the tank bag and holster it before I head into the business. Most certainly, I'm NOT leaving it on / in the bag when I walk away from the bike, even 'for a minute'.

While someone else seeing me retrieve a handgun from the tank bag isn't illegal, it COULD create some 'politically incorrect' issues if someone sees me grabbing a gun from my tank bag and heading inside. And, why draw unnecessary attention to myself? Of course, that means I need to have a holster located somewhere on my person, anyway.

Yes, for simple refueling, nowadays I can just use a card at the pump and never leave the bike (often do so with the car and truck, as well). But there are times when I may want to go in to use the restroom facilities, grab a drink or something.

Maybe it would be possible to lock the tank bag, but IMO it's still not a good idea to walk away from the bike and leave a gun in the bag, as they're typically just attached by straps. I don't keep anything of any real value in the tank bag I currently have, so if someone would cut the straps and run off with it, the bag itself would be the biggest loss.

Just my own thoughts on it.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ^^^ the one time being a lefty would be terribly useful!
    Yeah, LOL. Hey... wait a minute! I saw what you did there! :laugh:

If ya think about it, one of the disadvantages to being a righty riding a motorcycle is if (again, god forbid) a gun needs to be drawn while riding, there's an issue because the righty has to turn loose of the throttle to do so. Which means the bike is slowing down while all this is happening. It's already enough of a challenge because it's now necessary to control the bike one handed in the middle of a 'situation'.

Hopefully, none of us 'iron horse' types will ever need to deal with such an issue. But, it's something to which every motorcyclist should give serious thought and planning. What DO ya do in such a situation? 'Cause they're sure not operating the throttle and front brake while holding a handgun in their right hand.

At the very least, for right-handed motorcyclists that carry while riding it should give real incentive to practice diligently with their off-hand, maybe even a 'bit more' than those who don't ride 'scooters'.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Yeah, LOL. Hey... wait a minute! I saw what you did there! :laugh:

Lol. My wife is a lefty. We now own nothing but left handed scissors. I didn't even know there was such a thing!

But I agree entirely with your post. I actually pulled my bike up to the range and tried drawing left handed from my right hand holster to simulate a shooting-and-riding situation. I can do it, but I really hope that doesn't happen. Fortunately, I don't have many movie-esque hitmen after me, so I doubt a highway shootout is in my future...

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Double shoulder holster w/ matching pistols may work. I use to carry in a Bianchi IWB, think it was called a Pistol Pocket. Had a leather belt strap and thumb break, fit was perfect for a Glock.
    Retired from Bikes, Brother In Law was lost on one after a drunk hit him while stopped at a red light. Rode for 20+yrs, still miss both.
    Carry is good idea, hi-cap mags really good idea.
    Good luck.

Top Bottom