• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Hi folks! I have until now spent almost all my time in the gun sections, but in reviewing my BOBs, I'd like some advice. I'm beginning to question the need for a bug out bag.

I live in a smaller sized city. If a disaster such as a major fire, or a train overturned spreading chlorine or something in the area, the wife and I would simply go to a relative's home on the other side of town and bunk in until the "all clear" was given.

If there was a societal breakdown like riots, etc, (no zombies, please) we are well suited to hunker down with preps: food, guns, ammo, water, clothes, firewood, etc.

I'm having a hard time seeing a situation where at our ages (almost 70), I'd put on a rucksack and take off somewhere. Therefore, I'm considering doing away with the wife's and my BOB and its traditional contents: IFAKs, compass, knife, paracord, mini flashlight, space blanket, poncho, etc. Maybe pack a BOB with things like a backup computer hard-drive, wills, DD 214s, cash, meds, toilet articles, and similar items - but not traditional survival items one would need in "The Book of Eli" or Mad Max.

Opinions, anyone??

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...the wife and I would simply go to a relative's home on the other side of town and bunk in until the "all clear" was given.

• IFAKs ~ does your relative have first aid supplies? Do they have enough to share?
    • Compass ~ small, I'd keep it.
    • Knife ~ every adult male (and female) should always have a knife.
    • Paracord ~ so many uses, especially when a guest elsewhere. Clothesline to dry your laundry?
    • Mini flashlight ~ really helpful navigating to the bathroom in an unfamiliar house.
    • Space blanket ~ small, I'd keep it. Multi use.
    • Poncho ~ so many uses. Rain, privacy screen, floor cover, etc. Not just for the woods.

Maybe pack a BOB with things like a backup computer hard-drive, wills, DD 214s, cash,

Something actually helpful from the government. Use this list to get your financial and personal documents gathered together.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Think of the recent I-95 snow incident in VA a few weeks ago. What would you need to have for food, water, shelter, and warmth to sit on the interstate for 24 hours? What would you need to have on hand for immediate access if you were stranded off the road due to weather or an accident for an extended period of time? Fire, shelter, 1st aid, a way to boil water, extra meds or a pair of glasses, change of clothes, toiletries, deck of cards, means of signaling for help? And, of course, a handgun with extra mags or speedloaders for self defense. Think of it as a "staying safe and getting thru a bad situation" bag rather than a BOB bag. And if you are not going to carry it on your back, don't worry about using a backpack style bag. Instead, get one that has a few compartments to organize things easily. Put it together and throw it in the trunk of the car and you are good to go. Just remember to rotate any items that might expire a couple of times a year.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    What if that evac to other side of town becomes, all route are blocked have to evac somewhere else?

Even going 'cross town, do your relatives have supplies for you, your med's and any special needs? Change of clothes for the conditions.

That's what having a BOB (or similar) ready to go in any contingency. What you plan for is individual to you and yours.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have Get Home Bags in our cars. Posting a list below. I also keep a comprehensive FAK and a complete Burn Bag in my van.

Water
    Coffee Filters
    Filter Straw
    Funnel
    Boil Bottle

Food
    Energy Bars
    Soup Packets
    Hot Chocolate

Clothing
    Rain Gear
    Bandana
    Gloves

Shelter
    Poncho
    Space Blanket

Communications
    2 Way Radio
    Scanner
    GPS

First Aid
    Trauma Bandages
    Alcohol Wipes
    Potassium Iodide
    Antiseptic
    Butterfly Closure
    Band Aids
    Kaopectate
    Tape/Bandage
    Latex Gloves
    Aspirin/Tylenol
    Hand Sanitizer
    Gloves
    Flashlight
    Sponge
    Wipes
    Antacid
    Anti-Inflammatory
    Tourniquet

Hygiene
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Deodorant
    Lip Balm
    Tablet Towel
    Toilet Paper
    Bug Spray
    Talc Powder
    Soap

Money
    Small Bills
    Quarter Rolls

Firearms
    Mags
    Ammo
    Mace

Fire
    Wet Fire Packets
    Lighter
    Waterproof Matches
    Steel Wool
    9 Volt Battery
    Mag Block/Striker
    Magnifying Glass

Tools
    Folder Knife
    Swiss Army Knife
    Multi Tool
    Zip Ties
    Carabiners
    Door Stops

Miscellaneous
    Paracord
    Compass
    Batteries AA
    Batteries AAA
    Headlight
    Duct Tape
    Flashlight
    City Map
    Binoculars
    Glow Sticks
    Foil
    80/200-Watt Inverter

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Have a Get Home bag in my truck. Nice to know I can stay warm without having to run the engine. Carry enough water & food for 48 hours.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a get home bag. Basic items. Just what I need to get home. Ifak light batteries warm clothes hat.

I think the listed items above are good but I personally like to go lighter that what that would weigh. I would remove a bunch of stuff and add two pair of wool socks two small plastic bags (to keep feet dry) and a large contractor trash bag.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Hi folks! I have until now spent almost all my time in the gun sections, but in reviewing my BOBs, I'd like some advice. I'm beginning to question the need for a bug out bag.

I live in a smaller sized city. If a disaster such as a major fire, or a train overturned spreading chlorine or something in the area, the wife and I would simply go to a relative's home on the other side of town and bunk in until the "all clear" was given.

If there was a societal breakdown like riots, etc, (no zombies, please) we are well suited to hunker down with preps: food, guns, ammo, water, clothes, firewood, etc.

I'm having a hard time seeing a situation where at our ages (almost 70), I'd put on a rucksack and take off somewhere. Therefore, I'm considering doing away with the wife's and my BOB and its traditional contents: IFAKs, compass, knife, paracord, mini flashlight, space blanket, poncho, etc. Maybe pack a BOB with things like a backup computer hard-drive, wills, DD 214s, cash, meds, toilet articles, and similar items - but not traditional survival items one would need in "The Book of Eli" or Mad Max.

Opinions, anyone??

I suggest holding onto the grenades

Top Bottom