• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Let me see if I understand this:

A "normal" deer license, in conjunction with the general hunting license, allows one to hunt deer and take one deer. And when one is using modern firearms (shotgun, handgun, or PCR) during the firearms season one may _only_ take a deer with an antler at least three inches long. Further, only one antlered deer may be taken per year by any one hunter (One Buck Rule).

In addition, there's a "bonus antlerless deer" license, which allows, as the name suggests, the taking of antlerless deer. Buy one or more such licenses and one can take one deer, per license, provided one has not exceeded his or her bag limit in the county where the deer is taken. (One wonders about the incidence of "fudging" when deer are taken near a county line.) And, if I'm reading it correctly, these "bonus antlerless deer" are in addition to what one can take with the regular deer license.

So, since this is to be my first year dear hunting, it looks like it would be in my interest to get both the regular deer license and a bonus antlerless deer license as that would increase my chances of finding something to potentially bring home.

Is my interpretation of all that correct?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That is the way I understood it. You can start with just a antlerless, but if you also get one for a standard buck, then you have both options. I believe the price is the same, but discounted for 2nd and subsequent bonus tags.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

A "normal" deer license, in conjunction with the general hunting license, allows one to hunt deer and take one deer. And when one is using modern firearms (muzzle loader, shotgun, handgun, or PCR) during the firearms season one may _only_ take a deer with an antler at least three inches long. Further, only one antlered deer may be taken per year by any one hunter (One Buck Rule).

1) General hunting license is not required, only the deer license.
    2) Remember that each license is season and equipment specific.
    3) The Firearms season is the only one that "requires" the purchase of a buck only license, prior to the purchase of any bonus license.
    4) During Firearms Season, muzzle loaders must follow the rules of the season, but have different rules during their own season.

In addition, there's a "bonus antlerless deer" license, which allows, as the name suggests, the taking of antlerless deer. Buy one or more such licenses and one can take one deer, per license, provided one has not exceeded his or her bag limit in the county where the deer is taken. (One wonders about the incidence of "fudging" when deer are taken near a county line.) And, if I'm reading it correctly, these "bonus antlerless deer" are in addition to what one can take with the regular deer license.

So, since this is to be my first year dear hunting, it looks like it would be in my interest to get both the regular deer license and a bonus antlerless deer license as that would increase my chances of finding something to potentially bring home.

Is my interpretation of all that correct?

Right now I only hunt during the firearms season, and buy both my buck, and bonus tag at the same time. That way if a nice fat doe walks by, I can go ahead and take her. In fact, a couple of years ago, I filled 3 bonus tags with doe's and never did take a buck.

Just remember a couple of things, deer and humans both make the same amount of noise walking through the woods, make sure which it is before you shoot. Be aware of what is behind your target, in case you miss, and keep in mind that about 75% of the bullets that hit a deer, will pass through. And above all, have fun, and enjoy your time in the woods.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    To hunt deer your need:
    Deer Hunting License @ $24 = 1 buck only 1 per year
    Antlerless license @ $24 = 1 doe
    Any Additional Antlerless @ $15

Note: If you are ONLY hunting deer you do not need to purchase an Annual Hunting License. The deer license is all that is needed.:D

Yes, get both. There is nothing worse than having purchased an antlerless license and the only deer you see all day is a BIG BUCK!! And he keeps circling your stand, just knowing that you can't touch him! :n00b:

wolfman you beat me to it!

Last edited:

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course

A "normal" deer license, in conjunction with the general hunting license, allows one to hunt deer and take one deer. And when one is using modern firearms (shotgun, handgun, or PCR) during the firearms season one may _only_ take a deer with an antler at least three inches long. Further, only one antlered deer may be taken per year by any one hunter (One Buck Rule).

How many antlered deer can I harvest?
    Answer: You are allowed to harvest one antlered deer per year in the regular deer season in Indiana. (Plus 1 in Urban zone + Military/Refuge limits + 1 in each of 2 State Park hunts - see below)
    Can I take more than one antlered deer per year?
    Answer: Yes under certain conditions. You are allowed to harvest one antlered deer in the regular statewide deer season, one in any Urban area using Archery equipment and an Extra Archery license, one for each Military/Refuge hunt you have access to; using a Military license, and one for each State Park Hunt you are selected to participate in. A license is not required when drawn to hunt deer in a State Park.

from; DNR - Division of Fish & Wildlife: Deer Hunting FAQ's

So the "One Buck Rule" is not a rule but loophole city.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    IIRC, the anlterless licenses (bonus licenses) are good for all seasons, the antlered deer licenses are only good in the season for which it is purchased e.g. muzzleloader license is not goot during firearms season.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    noah.richey
    Top Bottom