• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcdouble2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    I was never told to shoot with one eye closed, so I never did. As a kid I shot a ton of BB's from Daisy BB guns, with both eyes open I could see the path of the BB when shot. It wasn't until I tried to shoot a rifle with a scope, that I had to close one eye. I struggled with that for a while.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am new to working on this, I've always shot with my left eye shut while firing right handed. The last two range trips I have been working on this, its different but I'm happy with the results. I'm wondering if others work on this as well or if I'm just very late to this party.

Perhaps some tips, tricks, advice, that will help me be a better shooter.

I started practicing with both eyes open last summer. And I am now just as proficient as I was the other way, but I now have much better situational vision (I can see what is going on AROUND the target far better). And that is indeed the goal of it.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The good thing is that if you are attacked regardless of how you have trained both of your eyes will be wide open. Vision is our primary way to gather information so it stands to reason that if we are under attacked our reptilian brain takes over which keeps both eyes open to take in as much information as fast as possible.- George

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have an astigmatism too. I use a 1/2x squint (looks like clint eastwood)that gives me some of the benefit of shooting eyes open without the double vision.
    I shoot with both eyes open when stationary. My astigmatism, I guess, causes me to see two guns, but I always use the left one. It is very easy with little practice.

If I try and move the gun around, like when shooting steel targets, the 'two guns' thing is too much to handle, so I need to close my left eye.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm going to market a Tactical Eye Patch. Solves the whole problem, plus makes you less likely to be selected as a victim because you look like a bad-ass pirate. People are much more likely to buy my patch than to train with both eyes open. $49.95, paypal is fine. This week's special, two for $99.95.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i took a class and learned this method...after hearing the instructor scream "front sight!" a hundred times, and seeing the immediate results (rounds hitting steel) i began to beleive in it...its still a little awkward for me, but im getting better....though, there is one instance where i find it impossible...when firing a rifle from my off shoulder, like when coming out from cover to my left (non dominant side) and having the rifle shouldered on my left side it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to not see two rifles and get very confused, so i have to close my right eye, and aim with my non dominant eye (which is weird but deffinetly dooable)

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    :twocents: You can train your eyes doing every day things. Throw on the scotch-taped eye protection and go about your day. Anything that requires the use of your eyes will in effect train your brain to use the eye with the clear sight without having to close the other. I've improved my ability to sight right handed by blocking my dominant left eye. You never know when you'll need to shoot with your weak hand. :twocents:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Focusing on the front site is hard when you do not have time to get your gun between you and the threat. It also forces you to bypass sometimes as much as 70% of your target waiting to see sights that you may never see.- George

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I have no problem looking through a scope and keeping both eyes open, but when it comes to pistols all I get is double vision

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    New to pistols but been using rifles all my life. Started doing the both eye technique. When I do that with pistols I hit more often. Even my son out shoots me with pistols often.

Top Bottom