• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    I just recently purchased an 86 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup. I have been trying to fiqure out what all I should carry on or in the truck. So far I have a Army Pioneer Kit that I am going to mount on the lid of my tool box, a GOLIGHT I am going to mount on the top of the cab, some ratchet straps, hand tools, spare starter, off road lights I need to mount, a Military Humvee antenna I still have to mount for my CB, extra plugs and wires, binoculars, Military Jerry can for water, extra antifreeze, 30' tow strap, any other ideas on what to throw in it?

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Maybe you have already accumulated these but I would suggest the following,

I am no expert, I just fake it.. lol

fuses, box of each size, if you have many of one size get many boxes of that size

lights, head lights, tail lights, all replacement bulbs...

spare distributor, a couple of caps, coils, etc..

relays, most autos have relays, find them and get spares, some are odd balls from year to year.

Hoses, double of each, plus some generic hose in different useful sizes and plenty of stainless clamps

other fluids, tranny, brake fluid, rear end, transfercase, engine oil, etc.

fliters, fuel, oil, air, cabin, whatever, case of each..

tubes, for the tires if needed..

plug and patch kit for tires.. You will also need break down tools for the tires unless your putting bead lock rims on..

portable air compressor, some small ones are great but pricey, look for what you can afford, and honestly if it is less then $100 it's junk, I have tried many and anyone that plugs into a lighter socket is really only for pool toys IMO..

brake parts, spare discs, pads, shoes, drums, springs, lines, etc.. Some spare brake line and fittings can patch torn loose lines. have at least a couple spare lines, even if you only buy the longest needed it would work in the short location..

consider replacing the glass side and back windows with lexan, I know of a few places that de-glass race cars and they can make you replacements that fit great, still roll up and down, slide, have flip open ports, etc but they are much safer being poly carb or lexan type..

roll cage.. build a suitable roll cage in the cab at a minimum, if your going for hauling too incorporate a gear rack on the top of at least the cab, maybe a removable rack for the bed

spare fasteners, lug nuts, bolts, clips, snap rings, etc. also o-rings or gaskets, maybe a complete tranny, rear end, transfercase, engine, etc gasket set...

obviously you shouldput in a battery isolater and at least one spare battery, that is hooked into the alternator, maybe a spare or two stored with or in the truck, I recommend Optima Batteries..

winch.. a mounted wich with fairlead in the front and maybe a hitch mounted with a hitch in the front, back and built into the side nerf bars..

Nerf bars, some sort of functional bar on the lower portion of your truick to sustain the weight of the truck if crawling over rocks, trees, etc that will keep your undercarrage from etting snagged..

long handled shovels, a scoop type snow shovel, hand tools, air tools if you put on board air in it, air lines too.. Go over your entire vehicle and see what specialty tools you might need, get two.. hub socket for the front end, brake tools for the brakes, etc..

spare drive shafts, both, with new joints, tapped and stored in PVC tubes with threaded caps, seal them tight with other spare parts and you can stick the tubes under the truck in the different parts of the frame that are open..

fuel cans, I saw gerry can for water, what about fuel? if you can find a dual tank truck or a tank from one and the fuel valve, it would be great, oh and if you get a dual tank setup, you should get a spare fuel transfer valve..

gas cap, get a couple spares, newer trucks and cars have to have a gas cap to run right..

ECU, BCU, ALBM, etc. all the computers, get a spare of each of the computers and control modules and store them in a cage just in case..

wiring harness.. something you can't necesarily repair if damaged, a u pull it yard is a great place to find them, usually there is a bulk head fitting at the firewall so ther are two main peices..

jacks, high lift, bottle and scisor type, never enough... if you carry a hydraluic you can either sacrifice tranny fluid or carry some spare hydraulic fluid..

a snorkel kit, intake and exhaust, and waterproofing for all of the important electronics, crossing a flooded out road will take less time then going around..

spare alternators, power steering pump, sterring box, soft joint in the steering linkage, etc, etc, etc for spare parts..

depending on how far down your pockets go, a spare short block, tranny kit and set of rear ends isn't too bad of an idea..

I know this all sounds like you might as well buy another vehicle but spares are important.. especially if you know your on your own..

just my two pennies, i don't know anything..

Last edited:

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Just some ideas. Pick and choose for your application.

reinforced/gussetted frame
    skid plates
    rock sliders
    roll cage
    extended/extra fuel tank(s) w/safety linings
    all wiring in chassis grounded metal conduit

HD suspension/steering components (4” lift)
    HD/Oversize 4-wheel high capacity disk brakes with booster
    35” bead lock run-flat tires

custom twin cyclone engine air pre-filter
    engine air intake snorkel
    K&N engine air filter
    exhaust gas snorkel
    set of vent snorkels
    Evans NPG+ waterless coolant
    HD/oversize radiator w/twin electric fans
    HD engine oil cooler
    HD transmission cooler
    HD hydraulic oil cooler
    special mounts for extra gen, air compressor, on-board welder, hydraulic pump
    2 - GM 12v generators (instead of single alternator)
    Dual HD starting batteries
    HD deep cycle battery
    battery isolator
    110v/220v inverter
    air compressor w/tank
    hydraulic pump w/tank
    On Board Welder
    Power steering pump
    A/C compressor

custom roll cage
    custom cockpit w/dual captain’s chairs
    custom roof console
    custom passenger/navigator station w/faraday cage protected laptop computer
    custom HD dual arm windshield wipers w/air brush function (for volcanic ash)

heavy duty front bumper w/2" hitch receiver
    tow bar
    brush guard
    roller fairlead winch mount
    12,000# hydraulic winch w/tensioner and stowing protector
    bumper tool box (tree protectors, cable damper, 100' 3/8" extension cable, clevis', shackles, snatch blocks, tie-offs, etc)
    spare tire mount
    fire extinguisher mount w/20 # fire extinguisher & cover
    tool mounts (short handle round point shovel, pick/mattock)
    fog lights
    high intensity driving lights
    air, 12vDC, 110v/240v AC, hydraulic, welding lead outlets
    tie down/tow hooks/rings
    approach/brush/sapling roller

heavy duty rear bumper w/2" hitch receiver
    roller fairlead winch mount
    12,000# hydraulic winch w/tensioner and stowing protector
    bumper tool box (tow strap, cable damper, 100' 3/8" extension cable, clevis', shackles, snatch blocks, tie-offs, etc)
    fire extinguisher mount w/20 # fire extinguisher & cover
    Pull-Pal winch anchor
    stake down type winch anchor w/stakes
    high intensity backup lights
    swing away spare tire/tool/jerry can mounts (16# double jack, axe, 2 - jerry cans diesel, 1 jerry can gasoline, 1 jerry can water)
    air, 12vDC, 110v/240v AC, hydraulic, welding lead outlets
    tie down/tow hooks/rings
    approach/brush/sapling roller

cab-over pipe rack
    roof rack ladder(s)
    remote control spot/flood light
    high intensity spot & flood lights (front/rear/alley)
    solar battery charger panel
    PA speakers
    elastic cargo net
    strap cargo net
    custom lay over antenna mounts
    spare tire mounts
    tool mounts (Hi-Lift Jack, telescoping ladder, articulating ladder, long handle round point shovel, wall climbing/recovery pole, railroad bar, Stanley Demolition bar, 42” bolt cutters, cribbing timbers, traction pads, thermal lances, set bridging ramps w/deployment & recovery gear)

Mechanics tool box w/extensive hand tool kit
    Parts box w/extensive set of spare parts
    Set of hydraulic powered tools
    Set of air powered tools
    6 ton chain fall
    1 1/2 ton chain fall
    2 ton cable come-along
    2 5-ton bottle jacks
    Porta-power hydraulic system
    chainsaw
    chainsaw support kit
    burning bar support kit
    oxy/acetylene torch kit (vented case in cargo compartment if Suburban)
    self contained 2,000,000 watt spot light
    set of wheel chocks

Pre-packed cargo containers for pickup bed
    Pre-packed cargo containers for roof rack
    Pre-packed cargo container for receiver hitch
    Pre-packed companion trailer (same year pickup bed trailer w/cover and/or rack)
    Pre-packed custom tandem wheel trailer
    Barge trailer with outboard motors

Primary Communications fit:

AM/FM/Satellite/CD/DVD/TV Video system
    NWS EAS SAME receiver
    Dakota Alert M538-HT short range handheld radio (6)
    Motorola HT 750 Business Band Low Band Handheld radio (6)
    Bearcat BCD396XT PS Band scanner w/Hustler MRM mobile scanner antenna
    Cobra 148GTL AM/SSB CB mobile w/Wilson 5000 Roof B mobile CB antenna
    Motorola CDM-750 Business Band Low Band transceiver w/Wilson 5000 Roof B mobile CB antenna cut to BB
    Yaesu FT-8900R 10m – 70cm VHF/UHF amateur, mobile w/Diamond 8900A 10m – 70cm mobile antenna w/mount & coax
    Yaesu VX-8R 6m-70cm VHF/UHF amateur radio, handheld (4)
    Yaesu FT-897D HF transceiver, portable w/KJ&U KW 6 – 160 screwdriver mobile HF antenna & Yaesu ATAS 120 w/mount, triplexer & coax

Some optional radios

Motorola CDM 1550 low band HF business band radio w/Wilson 5000 Roof B mobile w/Wilson 5000 CB antenna cut to BB frequency
    Motorola HT-1250 low band business band radio, handheld (4)
    Motorola CM 300 VHF 32 channel 45 watt business band radio w/gain antenna
    Motorola CP 200 VHF 4 channel 5 watt handheld (4)
    Motorola CM 300 UHF 32 channel 45 watt business band radio w/gain antenna
    Motorola CP 200 UHF 4 channel 4 watt handheld (4)
    Furuno FS1503EM SSB marine Band HF/SSB mobile radio w/KJ7U KW 6-160 screwdriver antenna adjusted for marine band
    Furuno FM3000 marine band VHF mobile w/Wilson 2m mag mount (cut to Marine band)
    Standard-Horizon HX471S handheld VHF marine band radio
    ICOM IC-A200 mobile airband radio w/mount & antenna
    ICOM A24 airband handheld radio

Some additional ideas:

all conventional vehicle lighting on hidden auto/off/on switch/relay panel
    high output disruptive sound & strobe light system
    gag-gas dispenser system
    Railroad track guide rollers
    Rammer/pusher bars on bumpers
    Hanging chain tire armor/deflection system
    Central tire inflation system
    Service body w/basket lift/material handling arm
    Custom body on a Chevy/GMC 5500 series 4x4 chassis

Some over the top possibilities:

Infra-red driving lights w/night vision goggles
    6x6 conversion
    Radiator armor with air flow deflector panels
    Body armor w/gun ports
    Window armor w/gun ports
    Engine compartment/radiator armor
    Oil slick, smoke, riot control gas, & caltrop dispensers
    Electrical shock exterior wiring system & generator
    Razor edge body edge trim
    External fire suppression system
    Anti-grenade/Molotov cocktail/RPG chain link fencing stand-off system

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is the load out for my daily driver. A Jeep Cherokee Sport.

IMG_1048-2.jpg

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    WOW...Thanks so much. There is alot of good information. Definetly gave me some ideas and things I need to change. Thanks again. I was going to post a picture of my truck on here but I'm not sure how to do it. How do you do it?

Last edited:

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    2u9n6eg.jpg
    [/IMG]
    2u9n6eg.jpg

Here is my BOV still making some modifications, I have a 454 in the shop now. Waiting on the heads to get finished up. Me and a friend estimated the big block will have roughly 625 HP. I can hardly wait. Thanks for the tips and I'll keep everyone posted. Oh and thanks for showing me how to post pics too.

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Now that I've seen it I can only say you need a tank trailer to haul gas. I was gonna
    suggest lots of spare tires as you might have a hard time getting one fixed.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    one thing that I haven't seen on here, but should be is separate skidplates for your brake lines. I would even go so far as to say make boxes for them that bolt to the frame, floorpan and anything else.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Nice work.. I would say it is big enough to haul at least a days worth of fuel on board..

IMHO look for a diesel transplant. Find a mechanical fuel pump cummings or somthing to drop in that rig, could run on veggy oil too.. Something that big needs torque and is not built for high speed manuvering..

I would suggest some aftermarket gears, bearings and axles for the front and rear, air locker front, locked rear, super low range under drive, some AR Plate skid plates that can be removed. I saw a templet for a front plate that was removable that doubled as a balistic sheild..

Better make sure your winch can pull twice the wet weight of the truck as a minimum, I would say three times to be safe.

Awesome work though, seriously I am jealous because my current BOV is nothing close to this yet..

Rep Inbound..

Top Bottom