• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marion County Fish and Game's Bowling Pin Match will be this Saturday, August 25th at 9 AM. Setup will begin at 8:15 AM and we would appreciate the help of a few volunteers. The Safety Meeting (required for new shooters) will be at 8:45 AM to explain the rules. At 9:00 AM, we will begin shooting.

REMINDER!
    The MCF&G board has decided that we can no longer leave the gate open during the match. If you are a non-member, you will need to arrive between 8:00 AM and 8:50 AM. At approximately 8:50 AM we will close the gate. This is necessary because non-members have been coming onto the property during public matches and shooting without being accompanied by a MCF&G member. Non-members are still welcome and encouraged to shoot this match. However, the public is NOT allowed to use other parts of the range for free and unaccompanied by a MCF&G member.

If the weather isn’t cooperating, the match may need to be canceled. I will try to send an e-mail and post an announcement in the Shooting Sports section of www.ingunowners.com by 7:00 AM if it is obvious the weather isn’t going to cooperate.

The cost is $3 per bracket for club members and $4 per bracket for non-members. All money goes toward the club and/or making the competition better. Youth (under the age of 18) shoot free with a paid adult.

Bowling Pin Shooting is conducted under a COLD RANGE. That means all guns must be holstered (or bagged) at all times, unloaded, hammer down, with no magazine inserted. You may only handle your gun at the direction of a range officer (RO), or at the designated "safe table". Violation of this or any other safety rule shall result in a match disqualification.

If you have any questions about the match, please read the rules posted at: MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range (look under "Programs and Events" > "Bowling Pins") If you are unable to find an answer posted in the rules, please feel free to e-mail me.

If you are willing to help as an RO or help keep score, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you can make it Saturday.

~John

BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com

Tom E

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    SE WI
    Fingers crossed watching the weather. Fri Nite Steel and Saturday Morning Pins align again. Will bring a .22 revolver, S&W617, for pin heads this time.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    DONB, maybe you can get a few more magnets and attach some bowling pins to the texas stars for hps.

TomE, watch the weather forcast, its only Tuesday, but rain might be back on the menu for Saturday.
    I hope we get to shoot pins, but mother nature may smile upon us or send us thunderstorms - too soon to tell.

Tom E

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    SE WI
    TomE, watch the weather forcast, its only Tuesday, but rain might be back on the menu for Saturday.
    I hope we get to shoot pins, but mother nature may smile upon us or send us thunderstorms - too soon to tell.
    Thx. Definitely watching the forecast. Fri nite steel, saturday morning pins and steel at Wildcat Valley sunday. It's a chance to shoot a bunch if the weather cooperates. Thursday morning is the decision point with motel reservations for friday and saturday nites..

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    What's an average round count per bracket for a first time pin shooter using 115 grain 9mm? I've shot steel challenge and Friday night steel but I've never been able to make it to a pin shoot, hoping this weekend is it! Any idea how many brackets there will be time for; I'm guessing it depends on turnout?

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Gingerbeardman, 115 grain 9mm is a little light for pins. 147 usually works better.
    One must knock the pin off the table not just knock it over.
    However, one must shoot what one has on hand.
    Sometimes we shoot 3 brackets (depending on turnout), sometimes 4.
    In a perfect world - 5 shots for 5 pins per table. If you miss a lot, the round count increases dramatically.
    At least two tables per bracket, unless you win, then more.

Sometimes we shoot a bracket of pinheads instead of a 4th bracket of full size pins.
    This is best done with 22s.

Hope this helps

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sometimes you can find Whinchester White Box 9mm 147gr JHP at Wal-Mart. They work quite well especially early on before the pins get all shot up. My memory say they are about $22/box of 50. I think they are worth the extra $.

Shot from a full-size gun, they can take a pin off the table with one well-placed shot. Use those for the first mag and then have 115gr FMJ to chase the ones that have been knocked over but are still on the table.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Thanks guys! This is all very helpful.

*EDIT* I swung by Cabela's this morning and grabbed some 147 grain flat nose. I may bring some 115 grain just to see for myself what the difference is.

Last edited:

Tom E

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    SE WI
    When I shot the pin match several yrs ago we went for Mexican food (lunch?) at a little, not too far away, restaurant. Still do that?

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    What is the distance to the table from the shooting line. I read the rules and didn’t see that. I know the placement of the pin on the table is determined by my class you are in. Thanks

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Tom E, sometimes we go to that mexican place - El Rodeo. Sometimes we go to Jimbo's bar-b-q.

Ricnzak, I believe the front edge of the tables are 27 feet from the shooting pads. (give or take a foot or two)

Last edited:

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rain is coming and looks like it could be heavy. If you are really bored and just want to get out of the house, Don B will be at the range and if the weather cooperates, there will be some practice.

Hope to see you next month.

~John

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    I just spoke with DonB. He's at the range.
    He says the color of the sky is the typical pre thunderstorm yellow gray.

If its raining or thunderstorming at 8:30 or 9am he'll be leaving the range.

Hope to see ya'll next month.

Top Bottom