• ...and so much more!
  • jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Hi Folks,
    As you know, I'm doing my homework in learning about reloading.
    I would like to k\ask a couple of questions:

Does anyone have the average weight of a .357 magnum brass case?
    (can't seem to find any data listed on the internet)

What would you consider an excellent price for used brass (per piece or pound or…) uncleaned with the old primer still in it?

I have a source that wants me to approach them with a fair price.

Every reloader I talk to in person stays go with a Dillon 650! I read articles and thought about getting the Hornady LNL AP, but now I'm vacillating!:dunno:

Looking forward to your information.

Thanks!
    :ingo:
    :draw:

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Go to gunbroker or reloadersnest.com and see what prices are going for. You'll get a good idea from them 2 websites.
    Hornady's cheaper, Dillons no BS warranty is hard to beat.
    But if you're new to reloading take Andrews class he offers and I procrastinate to all new reloaders start out on a single stage and progress from there.

Also talk to Andrew about the Dillons if thats the way you're going to go.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Had a Dillon for 25+ years and just switched to Hornady, like it a lot better. Everyone gives a +1 to Dillon's no BS warranty, but in 25 years I never used it so was it really worth anything??? I like the Hornady powder measure much better.

I usually use gunbroker for brass price comparison, you'll probably find 357 to be a little more expensive than other calibers, and I think it's because there isn't as much around as there is say .40 S&W or 9mm.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hi Folks,

Does anyone have the average weight of a .357 magnum brass case?
    (can't seem to find any data listed on the internet)

:

A Starline UNPRIMED case runs about 72 grains... 7000 grain = one pound so it would take about 97 cases for a pound... That or 1000 cases would equal real close to 10 lbs...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the first few hundred of rds threw my dillion 650 i was regretting my purchase. once i got it adjusted properly its doing alot better.

i will say that dillon had the exellent patience working with me to get it tuned in proper. if you go that route id talk to andew from profire arms on here. hes great to work with

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Had a Dillon for 25+ years and just switched to Hornady, like it a lot better. Everyone gives a +1 to Dillon's no BS warranty, but in 25 years I never used it so was it really worth anything??? I like the Hornady powder measure much better.

I usually use gunbroker for brass price comparison, you'll probably find 357 to be a little more expensive than other calibers, and I think it's because there isn't as much around as there is say .40 S&W or 9mm.

Out of curiosity, why do you like the LNL over the Dillon?
    When I get off this damn medical leave I'll finally look at upgrading past my turret press to a dillon or LNL. Only took 23 yrs of reloading for me to decide.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Out of curiosity, why do you like the LNL over the Dillon?
    When I get off this damn medical leave I'll finally look at upgrading past my turret press to a dillon or LNL. Only took 23 yrs of reloading for me to decide.

Well first let me say that I went from a Dillon 550 to the LNL. The first thing I liked is that there are 5 stations, second is the quick release die change, (I'm sure that's not the right name for them but) instead of the whole die holder, the powder measure is better, and I really like the primer feed setup. I also have the auto case feeder and it is the ****. I'm easily hitting 500 RPH or better when I'm reloading 9mm or 38 spl without thinking about it.

I'll admit it took a little bit of a learning curve to get it dialed in but now that I'm on top of things I can set up and go in no time. Dillon makes a good product, don't get me wrong, I just like the Hornady setup better.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks to all!!!!

First off, thank you all for your wisdom and input.
    To answer mad directly, I handled the lee at Kempf's, I looked at he Hornady LNL at Cabella's. Both easily get the job done. Of course at Kempf the Lee was all set up and ready to load. At Cabella's, the machine was there to play with not actually run. The Hornady was better made than the Lee, and smooth with much better construction.
    The mystique and fan club of the Dillon is overwhelming. Everyone I have meet or talked to that has one tells me it is the only way to go, the Rolls royce of reloading presses.
    I then landed on this review:
    http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf
    It seams the Hornady LNL AP, is the up and coming new star.
    Eventually, I'm going to break down and plan a trip to Andrew for a class. I learn a lot from the literature and videos, but, I know for myself, a hands on class will do it for me. I feel that Andrew's class sounds the best, plus you get to take home a few of your own hand loads.
    Thank you ExtremeVel for the technical information. That is what I was looking for.
    So, please lets not bicker about who's press is the best, let's discuss further the pros and cons of each.
    Again, thank you all.
    :smileak:

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Being new to reloading, jtull, taking the class of Andrews is a very good idea.
    Andrew I'm sure, will have you walking away with alot more knowledge than you can get from reading or watching videos, just because it's a hands on class.
    You'll find everything of Lees is lower quality than the other reloading mfs. But...it's affordable for lots of people, who cant afford to buy an LNL or Dillon.
    I myself own the Lee turret and love it for pistol reloading. I use my Lyman DPS3 to throw a charge and by the time I get 1 loaded, it's ready for me.

At one time Dillon was the Rolls Royce of reloading equipment, but Hornady has stepped up to the ball plate, giving Dillon a run for their money. RCBS used to have a good progressive, but you don't hear alot of people who own them.

Top Bottom