• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    so i broke a centimeter off of the decapping pin. it is from a Lee set of dies. anyone know if they will replace them or do i have to purchase? it was on a brass case. (primer was crimped). dont even ask how im decapping cases for the time being.. :D have about 200 primed cases awaiting powder and projectiles. not a bad stint for the first time i actually sat down and did some work.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Been there. My dies were over two years old, and had several thousand rounds through them, so I ordered up a spare pin from Midway with some other stuff. Irritating, but no biggie.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I always thought of the decapping pin as a wearable part that I am responsible for purchasing. Whenever I've had an obstruction or crimped primer get in the way, my pin simply gets pushed up in the collet. Perhaps leaving your collet not so tight in the future would prevent this?

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I always thought of the decapping pin as a wearable part that I am responsible for purchasing. Whenever I've had an obstruction or crimped primer get in the way, my pin simply gets pushed up in the collet. Perhaps leaving your collet not so tight in the future would prevent this?
    :yesway: This. Do yourself a favor and order a few extras so you don't have any down time if it ever happens again.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I called Lee when I broke one and they sent a replacement for free. That was before I even knew that they sold them on their web site for a couple of bucks. They were great to deal with and I had it within a couple of days.

In the mean time, if you have another set of dies, you can take the pin from one of those to avoid down time. Also, as suggested above, don't have the collet so tight and it should just "pop" out the time instead of breaking.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    yeah, just getting set up. bought the dies about 3 weeks ago.. no longer than that. i have other means of decapping. ill call lee here in the morning. thank you.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I had the same thing happen to me once. I called Lee and they sent me out a new one and they paid the shipping. I need to order a couple extra (not that my dies are that old at all). I just don't like the down time when i actually have time to reload.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    FWIW - The Lee Universal decapping die has a sturdier pin, also with the collet system, that is less likely to break. With that being said, I keep at least 1 spare on hand at all times, for the various die sets I use.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

that is the way i leave mine......20k + the same pin.....

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    so i may have misled you all.
    776391.jpg

the pin from the Center die is what broke.. not the decapping die im assuming... not exactly a collet on that.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    so i may have misled you all.
    776391.jpg

the pin from the Center die is what broke.. not the decapping die im assuming... not exactly a collet on that.
    center die looks like Lee's Neck Sizing collet die. I've never had mine apart to see what's inside. I'm thinking the decapping pin in the collet die is different than the F/L sizer. Don't quote me though. I have a spare .223 pin that will fit the F/L sizer but if they're different it obviously won't work in the neck sizer. It's usually 556 Military brass that breaks my pin.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    center die looks like Lee's Neck Sizing collet die. I've never had mine apart to see what's inside. I'm thinking the decapping pin in the collet die is different than the F/L sizer. Don't quote me though.
    i love being clueless. haha. learning experiences.. gotta have them. hopefully the guy at lee sent me the correct item.

Top Bottom