• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I saw around on the web of Brownings with a little chopped off the barrel and an extended magazine tube attached to it. Some even have ghost ring sights. Has anyone tried making their Browning A5 a home defense/tactical shotgun?

I dig the idea of a cheap auto loading shotgun for HD and wondering how short the barrel can be before it starts to act weird because of the reciprocating barrel design.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    DSC00620.jpg

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    why on a perfectly gorgeous A5 , i could see if you want a CHEAP autoloader you could do a Winchester 1400 or something like that ?

Cause the 1400 is rated one of the worst semi autos of all time. Just being honest.

If you have a Japanese field grade 12 gauge I think it would be cool, I've seen some pics of some A5 SBSs. They're just awesome :rockwoot::D

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Reviving this thread. Doesn't the barrel need extra weight to compensate for the weight lost chopping the barrel down? I read that when the barrel gets shorter the gun does weird things, but nobody really says what it does.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Cause the 1400 is rated one of the worst semi autos of all time. Just being honest.

If you have a Japanese field grade 12 gauge I think it would be cool, I've seen some pics of some A5 SBSs. They're just awesome :rockwoot::D

What's wrong with the 1400's? They area lot easier to clean than an A5.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, the reciprocating barrel-utilizing shotguns tend to have more felt recoil than most other semi-autos.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Did some more reading, and the reciprocating barrel will work in the friction ring system at any length as long as the rings are installed correctly. I think what I'll do is wait until after Christmas and put out a WTB for a cheap A5 clone.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don't know if the barrel needs extra weight. Remington made a bunch of M11s for military use in WWII with 20" barrels.
    I wondered if the 20" barrels instead of 18" was due to needing the weight in the barrel, but they were bought as aerial gunnery training shotguns so maybe 20" was exactly what they wanted.
    I split the difference and had mine cut to 19".

Top Bottom