• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I see these advertised as Belgium, different years, different grades. Do any of you know much about these? Any calibers to stay away from? General advice needed.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Brownings are made in either Japan or Belgium. The ones made in Belgium fetch a higher price. As far as grade goes, I'm pretty sure the Safari grade is the top of the line. Browning might offer different grades of wood and finish for certain models but I'm not 100% sure on that. There are a bunch of different variations you can get with the BAR, short-trac, long-trac, with and without the Boss system. The only experience I have is a BAR Safari in .338 win mag that my dad has.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The first .338 Winmags supposedly shot like crap. They dropped them and then brought them back out some time later.

Safari grade is just a hunting model with some machine design on the receiver IIRC.
    They make more ornate grades past that (silver or black receivers, different designs, some with gold etc).

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have always thought this gun was poorly named. When I hear Browning BAR.

I think of THIS!
    bar1918a2.jpg

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I'd say you can't go wrong with BAR, I have not purchased one in over 15 years, but when I did I got 2. One in 7mmRem Mag and a .270, good optics and never a problem. I have harvested elk, mule deer, black bear, whitetail and a coyote, looking forward to many more.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is a FN semi auto hunting rifle that FN called the Browning Automatic Rifle.

When you buy a FNAR from FN, the manual says it's based on the Browning Automatic Rifle. But of course they mean the hunting file, so FN is still pulling these stupid tricks.

Top Bottom