• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    I inherited a vintage Colt 1911 recently and I am restoring it. I have done a lot of research on this and have learned a lot. It has a pre 1913 slide in great shape. The receiver has issues, but it fires perfect. I have ordered a Sarco frame (Rock Island) and trying to win a ebay auction for hand carved 100yr anniversary walnut grips. This gun will have parts from 1911 and 2011 so it will be a true collector piece I hope! Just thought I would share my latest project
    :draw:

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    I have taken it to a few 1911 experts and they said it might be a "lunch box" gun. Made from parts taken by workers building these in arsenals back in WW1 and 2. The frame doesn't have serial numbers on it, has inspectors markings but everything else was destroyed. My police buddy said I shouldn't carry it and my best option was to build a hybrid, then I found the anniversary grips and had a good idea!

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    Yep, but none required for that year of manufacture... I figured that as well, but wanted to hear if the LEO had a real reason or just "to avoid a problem with those who may be ignorant about the law."

Where did he state what year the frame was? I have seen a picture of the gun and it has a 1911A1 frame making it 1924 or newer. It is my understanding that all military 1911A1 frames had serial numbers at one time and any handgun that originally had a serial number that was later removed was a problem. What is the law you are referring to? Maybe I am just ignorant of the law.:dunno:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Where did he state what year the frame was? I have seen a picture of the gun and it has a 1911A1 frame making it 1924 or newer. It is my understanding that all military 1911A1 frames had serial numbers at one time and any handgun that originally had a serial number that was later removed was a problem. What is the law you are referring to? Maybe I am just ignorant of the law.:dunno:

I stand corrected/ I had assumed it did not have a serial number as I thought the frame he had (like the slide date he mentioned) was manufactured pre 1968 Firearms Act.

If it did have a serial number that was removed/defaced, then purchasing the frame in the first place was a no no.

Top Bottom