Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    7ee19480c5649ce0796fffb3d8d8d72f.jpg

Sorry the pics are a bit gritty.

594add2d2db83246a5e7e1be8b19ee52.jpg

de96012d99fa8299ad3ad234892d5a12.jpg

It's an Ohio Rapid Fire Bulgarian AK74 built on an Armory USA receiver. Paid extra for the scope rail. The handguards are real Russian early 80's laminated. I've since removed the handguards because I started to burn them after bumping 500 rounds from the shoulder at Knob Creek in March. :do2:

5.45 is so damn easy for me to bump from the shoulder ACCURATELY it's not even funny! I'm not saying accurate as in .5MOA at 200 yards, I am talking minute-of-bowling-pins at 50.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Very nice. I got my ORF 74s in just a couple of days ago. What did you refinish that gun with. Mine came with a greyish parekerizing but Cory from Nash Gun Works is going to be working on mine.

78889241dt6lw9.jpg

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I didn't refinish anything. They did a pretty good job. My friend's dustcover is a little more gray than it should be but otherwise they both turned out nice.

I see you have some of the baby poo mags too! I have 2 of those and they are a very tight fit...

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    When did you buy that rifle and did you buy it directly from ORF? My finish is nothing like that (it's just a greyish parkerizing). Yours looks a lot better and my bolt looks like complete s&^t. Yours is a nice flat black. Mine looks like a monkey blued it and then took some steel wool to it.

All that being said the rifle shoots nice and straight

What are poo mags? :) I just picked an extra one up when I was buying some ammo at Bradis and ya its a tight fit. Where are they made?

I didn't refinish anything. They did a pretty good job. My friend's dustcover is a little more gray than it should be but otherwise they both turned out nice.

I see you have some of the baby poo mags too! I have 2 of those and they are a very tight fit...

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Our pair was custom made and it took them 10 weeks of lying and excuses to deliver.

I think my bolt carrier may have a similar finish to what you are describing- it's not black but grey and looks like it has been rubbed with something rough- it's very "streaky."

The doodoo brown mags I believe are bulgarian. Do they have a 21 in a circle on the bottom of one side? Mine are in the garage and I don't want to go out and get them.

Are you a member on AR15.com? I bought a 4 pack of East German bakelites from a guy there for $70 shipped (in the picture above.)

Where are you getting your ammo from and what's the cost?

If you want to buy in bulk I'd suggest Aimsurplus.com. They have corrosive russian from the 80's at $119.95/case 1080. That comes in a sealed can.

I just bought more ammo from them but I opted for the $150/1000 Wolf non-corrosive. I really hate having to clean the rifle after every trip to the range.

I see you went for the plastic furniture. Did you get black or plum?

I went with wood but traded the wood to a friend for black US furniture.

With that black handguard set I was able to put my Polish bakelite grip on the gun and it matches the mags perfectly. When I get my thread adapter for the rifle I will then be able to put the Russian wood back on.

Why get rid of that beautiful brake you may ask? Why else, for a suppressor!!!

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    -Yes they do

Do they have a 21 in a circle on the bottom of one side? Mine are in the garage and I don't want to go out and get them.
    -Ya I'm a member. Can you post a link to the deal

Are you a member on AR15.com? I bought a 4 pack of East German bakelites from a guy there for $70 shipped (in the picture above.)

-I just bought about 100 rounds at Bradis so I could test her out. I need to buy some online.

Where are you getting your ammo from and what's the cost?

-Black

I see you went for the plastic furniture. Did you get black or plum?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    It was a one time deal for those mags but there are probably more people selling mags in the equipment exchange.

the Circle 21 indicates they are bulgarian mags. You can find a 21 in a circle on the left side of your front trunnion as well.

I order ammo from Aimsurplus.com. Wolf 5.45x39 is $150 per 1000.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Well my ORF AK74 has to go back. It shoots straight but the bolt hangs about 1 out of every 10 times when racking it and has done the same thing at the end of a mag. ORF wants to see it. It will be under warranty but it's a pain in my ass. :xmad: Wish they caught this before they sold it to me :rolleyesedit:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    They don't catch ****. Slap 'em together and send 'em out.

It's kinda handy having the carrier catch at full rearward movement- not when firing though.

If it hangs up at the end of the mag you have what everyone WISHES they had- a bolt hold open on an AK!

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nice AK but I bought my 5.45 so I could shoot CHEAP ammo!

I bought mine so I could share ammo with my AR. ;)

I wouldn't mind a 5.45 AK right now, but pretty soon the days of cheap 5.45 will be over once the batches of cheap surplus ammo dry up. I am counting on 5.56 for the long haul. It is expensive now because usage is WAY up. But they are still cranking a crap ton of the stuff out world wide. One day it will come back down (adjusting for inflation) to a more tolerable level. I just doubt it will be any time real soon.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    With the amount of 5.45 being sold and the amount of rifles now being built, at the very least it will cause new 5.45 to be made sometime in the future. Maybe not super cheap, but not more than 5.56 and I'd rather have an AK in it's original flavors than a 5.56...

Nothing wrong with a 5.56 AK though.

Top Bottom