• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Glad to see them come to the Indy area, building anything that will be that high of an attraction on the dreaded and hated I-69 corridor is only going to make that road worse than it is now...if that was even possible.

We don't shop in that area because the traffic flow hassles far outweigh any fun that might be had up there, especially if you are coming up from south of the I-69 I-465 connector.

My in-laws live in Noblesville, one relative lives a few miles south of this mall. I take both the interstate and back roads (Mt. Comfort/Olio Rd.) to this area often for visits on the weekend. While there are a lot of people in the area, the traffic is nothing. Might not be able to find a great parking spot, but I've always found parking at the mall, at Olive Garden, the Dairy Queen, etc.. M-F rush hours and concerts aside, traffic flow really isn't all that bad even on busy Friday or Sat. nights. From what I recall from the days I used to go to Castleton a lot, traffic was worse on 82nd/86th street during the weekends ten years ago than it is up around Hamilton Town Center today. I've never seen gridlock in this area, ever. I know there can be gridlock during concerts and rush hour, but outside of that, traffic flows. Don't let that keep you from the area, it is really nice up there.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have shopped Cabelas for years over the other stores, mostly net shopping. Prices of guns and ammo especially is much better than Gander. They also have their own Visa card with which you earn points for store merchandise. You earn 1% on anything you buy anywhere and your points never expire. I have picked up several firearms and other stuff for "free" over the years.

Yep, agreed. I haven't had my card for long, but I've already been able to save around $85 on various purchases :)

I'll definitely go check them out. Wish I'd been into shooting when I lived in MN and Cabela's were everywhere!

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    I don't see how this is anything but positive. I know the southsiders are bummed, but look at the map. This location keeps the Indy metro satisfied, and gives better access to Anderson and Muncie. Hell, even Ft. Wayne and Cincinnati aren't that far.

For those who haven't been that way in awhile, I69 is infinitely better than it was just three years ago.

Options are good. I'll still drive to Plainfield, Camby, and Beech Grove from time to time. Just as I visit the LGS in Fishers, Noblesville, and Westfield. I suspect others will too.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Cabelas may have been a destination place, but as they open more and more stores, and make them smaller, they will become less of a destination for more and more people.

They dont have to be a destination place to draw customers, just stay true to their roots, keep prices reasonable, and have knowledgeable staff in the proper positions. Dicks is more of a soccer moms stop for the kids to get a new cup, or maybe some gear for a weekend camping trip. Gander Mountain seems to be leaning more and more that way every time I stop in (with the exception that they do have a great fishing tackle selection). The way any of the other big corporate "outdoors" stores are moving, it wouldnt take much for Cabellas to move in, and take over that area of business in the Central Indiana area.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They dont have to be a destination place to draw customers, just stay true to their roots, keep prices reasonable, and have knowledgeable staff in the proper positions. Dicks is more of a soccer moms stop for the kids to get a new cup, or maybe some gear for a weekend camping trip. Gander Mountain seems to be leaning more and more that way every time I stop in (with the exception that they do have a great fishing tackle selection). The way any of the other big corporate "outdoors" stores are moving, it wouldnt take much for Cabellas to move in, and take over that area of business in the Central Indiana area.

We knew what Dick's was when they bought Galayan's. Dick's was always aimed at the team sports. And their camping gear is about the same as Wal-Mart. REI is better at camping gear than anyone else. Even Cabelas or GM do not specialize in camping gear the way REI or Galayan's did.

GM is a somewhat hunting and fishing store. Cabelas is far more that way. Same with Bass Pro (with a specialization in fishing). Each store has its plus and minus. It depends on what you want. I can still get better deals at Bradis than any of the big stores.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have been to the Cabelas in Hammond many times and always had a positive experience. Even when purchasing a firearm there. Glad to see something coming north. Someone in a previous thread on here mentioned that they felt there are more hunting,camping,hiking,fishing opportunities in southern Indiana? Maybe?? IMHO that is not necessarily true. There is a lot of outdoor opportunities north of I70. Lake Michigan for one. Anyway... give it time and there will be a Cabelas hate thread on here like there is a GM hate thread.:twocents:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Bradis will never compete in some reguards to a big (big) box store like cabela's. Sure both can sell
    a browning buckmark pistol and Bradis will most likely sell it cheaper. Bradis will not sell enough browning guns to be a
    browning gold dealer (maybe under one of the distributors/maybe) so the gold dealer guns will nOt be available from the smaller
    stores or most any local gun store. Sure 90 % of the shopping public will never want the gold dealer
    items but 10% might and of that 10% some will buy them up. Other manufactures also have a "gold" program take
    the davidsons exclusives for example. Even these are allocated to those who buy lots of stuff. The more you purchase the Better your chances of being on the allocated list.

I personally like something a bit different than standard off the shelf items. Be it a upgraded wood. Shorter or
    longer barrel ECT. I like limited runs and dealer exclusives. That is where buying 5000 shotguns at
    a time to fill the shelves of the stores pays off for me. Not from those 5000 shotguns but from the 200 items they get to purchase because they bought 5000 shotguns.

this was/is not a knock on Bradis. Just a big hello to a new player that has large purchase inventory close to my house and can get those special run items I like to buy.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    We knew what Dick's was when they bought Galayan's. Dick's was always aimed at the team sports. And their camping gear is about the same as Wal-Mart. REI is better at camping gear than anyone else. Even Cabelas or GM do not specialize in camping gear the way REI or Galayan's did.

GM is a somewhat hunting and fishing store. Cabelas is far more that way. Same with Bass Pro (with a specialization in fishing). Each store has its plus and minus. It depends on what you want. I can still get better deals at Bradis than any of the big stores.

I will have to agree with you there. When buying new, and typically even used, my LGS has the big stores beat hands down. It is almost a waste of time to even look around to price check. I do still stop in at GM when I am in the area, but I dont make any special trips down there just to stop in. Actually the last few times I have been in the area, we drive on by, without even slowing down. But the used gun counter has always been a place to find a jewel in the rough, and I wont discriminate if the price is right.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So, any progress on this?
    Anyone heard ANYTHING?

I would LOVE to be able to travel to Noblesville rather than Hammond!

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Not to drail this thread but if you ever find yourself near Springfield, Il, check out the Scheel's store there. Holy cow!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    My guess is its goin gto be a year or two before it opens. Anyone checked to see if there is any construction in progress on the site?

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    I was out there maybe a month ago, and they're moving dirt. Its going to be west of the theatre at Hamilton Town Center mall, and you'll be able to access Cabela's without having to travel through the mall.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I would kind of like just one of the big box Cabela's/Bass Pro/Gander Mt stores to open in the north central part of the state. Anyone in our area has to drive several hours to get to any of them.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I would kind of like just one of the big box Cabela's/Bass Pro/Gander Mt stores to open in the north central part of the state. Anyone in our area has to drive several hours to get to any of them.

Isn't it less than an hour to get the Bass Pro in Portage?

tk6968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I live directly next door to the Cabelas project. The building pad and the retention pound are finished. They are working on the sewer lines and the road that will come in behind the IMAX. Surface drainage pipes have been delivered and laid out for burial. Building should start soon. Suppose to be open October 2015. I hope that our property is sold by then as I do not want to deal with the traffic that they will bring.

Top Bottom