• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I bought a military 1qt canteen, canteen cup, and cover to replace my stainless mess kit (the frying pan came up missing).

I'm trying to get more compact when I camp, and that's why I went with the canteen, cup and cover in favor of a new mess kit. I don't eat fancy when I camp (unless my parents, who love campfire cooking, come along). I cook meat on sticks over the fire, and pretty much anything else can be made interchangeably in a skillet or a pot.

For those of you who have used the canteen cup setup, what kind of silverware do you prefer? I have room in the canteen liner to stuff either a large (soup type) spoon next to the canteen and cup, or a small camping set of a knife, spoon and fork, but not both.

I've used large spoons and the camping set, and haven't found where one really outshines the other.

Is the small knife/fork/spoon set or a large spoon only preferred, and why? Or is there something else entirely that I should use?

Thanks,

Josh <><

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I like the WaterBottle cup route rather than a canteen. My cup has folding handles and a standard widemouth Nalgene fits perfectly inside it. Carry a second Nalgene with Gray tape wrapped around it. I prefer a separate fork spoon so I carry the plastic kind that they sell at Walmart. Coleman I think. Yeah this is a luxury.

For a cook set I have never invested in a mutifuel stove so I carry an old Trangia set without the teapot. This has a tuna-can type burner that burns paint thinner. It is a little heavier but with pot grabs I can cook anything and have several containers. I carry fuel in a small metal fuel bottle.

Quiggly

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I use Nalgene and similar bottles almost exclusively around the house now, as well as when I am on the road. The advantages of Nalgene over canteens are:
    1. The don't make your water or other fluids taste funny
    2. You can put ice in them easily
    3. You can use them to carry other stuff (like first aid or survival supplies)

As mentioned, the stainless steel cup you can get works just like a canteen cup in that the bottle fits into it, then into your bag or carrier. The downside is that you don't have the little "stove" part that nests with the canteen cup, which can be pretty handy.

The big steel spoon is probably the most useful for cooking, and handy if you're eatin' soup or stew. You can always add a Lexan spork of foon somewhere else in your gear.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Light My Fire Sporks are interesting and can be useful depending on how you cook. - Spork | Spoon-Fork-Knife Combo | Light My Fire USA . They handle boiling just fine, but will melt at high heat, so anything metal has the advantage there. One of the fork edges is "sharpened" to use as a knife, but its usefulness really depends on the food.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I just use regular silverware: one fork, one spoon.
    It's sturdy and I have several leftovers from
    my single days before the wife brought the good stuff.
    I've thought about attaching them together with a keyring.

I'm not sure that an additional knife is necessary since
    there would already be plenty of knives at hand if the
    camping silverware is in use.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I used standard camping plastic ware when I rode across the country on a bicycle, carrying everything. But I was living on a bike for over two months, so I never knew what type of food I would need. I use a single pot that also holds my dual fuel stove when packed. The weight of these are pretty low and it is nice to have a real knife, fork, and spoon at times.

Top Bottom