• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    ^^^ Cost is part of my reasoning as well. A good Gel Cell or AGM battery can be had for 50% more (or so) than a regular lead-acid. It will last MUCH longer than 50% more, so will be cheaper in the long run (assuming you keep a vehicle more than 5-6 years).

I've found them to also be much more reliable, and able to take quite a bit of punishment. They tend to "fade", rather then just die. Every lead-acid I've owned has worked one day, and completely failed the next with no warning. I have had Optimas in several vehicles, and been very happy with them. Also look at Exide's Orbital series of AGM batteries and the same from Odyssey Batteries.

Oh, and Autozone sells Optima, and NAPA usually carries Exide. Might save some shipping!

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    my guess is this was a GM vehicle? i say that beacuse that is very common for factory delco/gm batteries to sulfate inside and start pushing the terminals out or even off completely. you'll be just fine now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...They tend to "fade", rather then just die. Every lead-acid I've owned has worked one day, and completely failed the next with no warning. I have had Optimas in several vehicles, and been very happy with them...
    I think you have sold me! I am so tired of doing battery replacements in parking lots, then being at the mercy of whatever battery seller is the closest.

...is very common for factory delco/gm batteries to sulfate inside and start pushing the terminals out or even off completely...
    Is this what the BatteryMINDer claims to solve?
    310iWIOf55L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Oh, I have too... Experience has been after 3 years, don't be surprised when they fail.

Running 5+ Years on my Interstate Farm Tractor Battery and still going strong. It had a 2 year warranty and still running like a champ. I'll replace it with an Interstate Battery when the time comes

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Brandon, I was hoping you'd have mentioned what car you had, I have seen this before and it was also on a BMW, Does the positive cable have the explosive release on it? if so call me here, you may have a serious problem, I suggest you do not replace the battery until we speak.
    Thomas @ Autobahn Service Center (317) 888 0315 I specialize in European cars and have the ability to scan all the controllers at dealer level

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I always used to brush off consideration of gel cells due to cost. A very quick search shows me that gel cells have not increased in price at near the rate of lead-acid batteries. With a new battery in the not so distant future, it looks like I may want to revisit this?

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8025-160-Starting-Battery/dp/B000MSBU9U/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Explorer|663&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Ford|54&Year=2001|2001&vehicleType=6&carId=002
    41LyNJ-T8LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$144 to my door seems like a worthwhile consideration?

Thanks for the suggestion!! You got me to thinking about my options, and the Gel Cell looks like a real winner. I hadn't even thought of putting in an Optima before, and now I think it will be the next one in when the current battery gives up the ghost. :yesway:

sem351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Could have been corrosion between the plates inside to battery, or could have been that the battery was not venting properly, causing gas to build up in the battery, and distorting the case...

Top Bottom