• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    Well lee mule snot works but, messy so I dip lubed to fill the lube grooves, let dry then ran them thru a lee push-thru die backwards!!!!!! Wallah! Clean bullet with lube grooves filled! Rest of boolit is clean not sticky!!

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    I love the Lee push- through sizers (when I size). I like the idea of pushing the bullets through backwards. Are you making a "nose punch" from epoxy or similar stuff for the pushing pin to keep from flattening the bullet nose?

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I took a little hardwood peg and bored a hole the same size as my bullet diameter. Then I just push the peg down over the top the bullet. It sticks in the bore and when I push down on another couple, the first one pops out the top and each new bullet I push into the bore causes another to pop out the top. I don't like getting all that "mule snot" in my bullet sizing die.

The hardwood peg works good but probably won't last long. I think I'll make another out of brass or steel.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I ran across this awhile back on another forum. Seemed like a nifty idea. I myself have never used one, when I lube.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=119056

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Sometime in the early '80s, I retired my RCBS Lubri-Sizer. Haven't sized a bullet since. Found that a good mold and good alloy would drop a slightly oversized bullet that produced better accuracy than any sized bullet.
    I went to pan lubing.
    Currently, I am quite happy with LLA tumble lube. Throw 100-500 cast bullets in a casserole pan, put all bullets on their sides, squirt a little LLA on the bullets and shuffle them around like dominoes for 30-60 seconds. If all buttles are shiny/wet looking and aren't amber/brown, then they have enough LLA. You don't want so much LLA that the bullets are discolored or any lube is in the grooves. Pour onto wax paper or aluminum foil. If you want, you can put a second coat of LLA or Rooster Jacket if you get some leading.
    If you want to use a Lubri-Sizer, get a sizing die that is the same as the as-cast diameter of the bullets and use some BAC or Carnauba Red lube. I would, however, prefer a Star lube-sized that doesn't take the bulllet in-and-out but simply pushes the bullet through the die.
    However, I have been happy for about 30 years with not sizing a single bullet.

3shots

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Doans,Indiana
    I use johnson paste wax on unsized bullets . Take a gallon milk jug cut off the top put a couple of table spoons of jpw in it zap in microwave 30 sec add couple a hundred bullets shake around till they are coated pour out onto wax paper wait an hour they're ready to go. all them sizer and lubers to much hasle.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I mix Lee Alox with equal amount of Johnsons paste wax (purchased at Lowe's), and add a little mineral spirits. This works for me with everything from light wad cutter to full house 44 mag loads.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I mix Lee Alox with equal amount of Johnsons paste wax (purchased at Lowe's), and add a little mineral spirits. This works for me with everything from light wad cutter to full house 44 mag loads.

There is a good step-by-step article at the link below on this. I am about to start casting myslef and I plan on using this method. I will try skipping the sizing all together if I can get away with it. I bought my JPW at Lowe's.

Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free - Cast Boolits

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Save your money folks and get the Magma Star. I wore out a Lyman #45 and a Lyman #450 and then bought the Magma. It takes tons less time, setup is a snap and the bullets go straight through into your tub!

Glad I got one and would never go back!

Top Bottom