Caution if you have 10mm from Double Tap...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't know why "Caution" would be needed, but that is good to know.

Caution is needed because they're misleading people. Either intentionally or not.

If they're misleading about the bullet weight, what else are they possibly misleading about? Powder charge? Type? Condition of the brass?

-J-

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I just pulled a bullet from the box clearly labeled "200gr, 1250fps from a 4.6" barrel".

The bullet weighed 180gr exactly.

I am NOT pleased. I'm going to be emailing DT and leaving feedback on MidwayUSA's site which is where I bought them. I'm going to chrony a few once the snow clears to see velocity. I'm not going to return them because I buy commercial 10mm mostly for the brass, but I had hoped to use them for carry ammo, which I don't feel comfortable doing now.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    And this is the email I sent DT, I'll post back any response I get from them:

Hi there. I bought two boxes of your 200gr JHP 10mm from MidwayUSA in middle of January, hoping to replace the HydraShoks I had been carrying for self defense in my G20 and G29. I heard on Glock Talk that your 200gr bullets might not be 200gr, but 180gr. So I pulled one from each box (clearly labelled "200gr 1250fps out of a 4.6" barrel) and each bullet was indeed 180gr. This does not inspire confidence in your ammunition. I will shoot the rest of these two boxes as practice ammo and so I can use the brass, but I will be hesitant to buy more and I will continue to look for different self defense ammunition. Thank you for your time.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    If you're a member of GT, I'd suggest you post in that particular thread, too.

-J-

I'm not, but I have no problem if someone here copies my post there. I did post it in the handgun ammunition section of ar15.com and wrote a review for MidwayUSA, though their webform says that it would take up to two weeks to appear, that's IF they allow it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'm not, but I have no problem if someone here copies my post there. I did post it in the handgun ammunition section of ar15.com and wrote a review for MidwayUSA, though their webform says that it would take up to two weeks to appear, that's IF they allow it.

send an email here.

Email: LarryPotterfield@MidwayUSA.com
    Phone: 573-447-5117
    Mail:
    Larry Potterfield
    Office of the President
    5875 West Van Horn Tavern Rd.
    Columbia, MO 65203-9274

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    send an email here.

Email: LarryPotterfield@MidwayUSA.com
    Phone: 573-447-5117
    Mail:
    Larry Potterfield
    Office of the President
    5875 West Van Horn Tavern Rd.
    Columbia, MO 65203-9274

Thanks, this is the email I sent to Larry:
    Hi there. My MidwayUSA customer number is xxxxxxx.
    You can see from my history that I am a regular customer.
    In January I bought 2 boxes of Double Tap 200gr 10mm ammunition from MidwayUSA
    product number 268289 on invoice number xxxxxxx

After seeing a post on GlockTalk, http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174877
    about this ammunition regarding it not actually being
    200gr JHPs using Hornaday XTP bullets, but rather 180gr Montana Gold JHPs, I pulled a bullet from each
    box and when weighed found that indeed they were 180gr bullets, and they appear to be Montana Gold. This seriously
    concerns me as I had been looking to use the DT ammo for personal defense. I am not looking for a refund
    or replacement for this, I will shoot this ammunition for practice and plinking and I mostly buy commercial
    ammunition to obtain brass for reloading, but I cannot trust this ammunition for self defense.

My concerns are either that Double Tap is intentionally misleading customers, in which case I have just paid
    a high premium for plinking ammunition when I thought I was getting self defense ammo, or if it is unintentional
    that their quality control is lacking. Either way I will not be purchasing any more of their ammunition and I felt
    that I should bring it to your attention as a distributor of their products.

Thank you for your attention to this.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Almost a week later and no reply from Double Tap or MidwayUSA, nor is my review on Midway's site (they said up to 14 days). Not that I seriously expected any replies, but it does point towards how much they care (not much). I'll post here if I ever do ever receive any reply, but for now I'm not going to press the matter any further except to point to this thread when someone asks about Double Tap ammunition.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Almost a week later and no reply from Double Tap or MidwayUSA, nor is my review on Midway's site (they said up to 14 days). Not that I seriously expected any replies, but it does point towards how much they care (not much). I'll post here if I ever do ever receive any reply, but for now I'm not going to press the matter any further except to point to this thread when someone asks about Double Tap ammunition.

off topic.....i hope you hear from Midway and they take care of it....i order alot from them.....if they don't stand behind there stuff it might be my last order...
    :popcorn:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I know this is ancient history but it was brought up in a new thread. Has anything been resolved on this issue and the link to glock forum is bad.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You would think they would want to say no it was a mistake or something. This would be a nightmare if they loaded a 200gr pill over what 180gr calls for powder wise. That would be a mighty hot load even for the mighty 10mm.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yeah, either they had a screw up they didn’t own up to, or they were deliberately misleading. Either way, not going to do business with them.

I have bought their 200gr WFNGC bullets and loaded them myself. I've never used them personally. Underwood, and Buffalo Bore i have bought them in past they make some powerful loads for about any caliber. I took apart several Underwood 10mm offerings found they used 800x and the amount of powder for different bullets. I have copied them on several loads I actually was able to get more performance with my 200gr WFNGC than Underwood had. 1257fps avg with the 200gr out of my stock barrel G20sf. Love 800x if used properly it can be a great powder. You just have to trickle every load.

Top Bottom