• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I was not sure if this should go in the long guns thread or ammunition. Please move if needed.

I have been looking at some chamber inserts that allow center fire rifles to shoot .32 handgun ammunition. I can see some upsides to this such as cheaper ammo, less noise and less recoil. Specifically I am considering it for 7.62x54R and 303 enfield. I have also seen adapters for 308, 30-06 and 30-30. I already reload 32 ACP, 32 S&W long and 32 H&R magnum. I live in the country and can shoot on my property but the reduced noise would be good as I have a couple neighbors within a few hundred yards.

Anyone have experience with these adapters? Good idea or bad idea? Are the more expensive adapters worth the extra cost? I reload and understand that 7.62 rifle bullets are usually .309 and .32 ACP bullets are around .3125. Will that cause excessive pressure or barrel wear?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I do know they sort of work with Enfields. Cumbersome with one shot at a time and then having to knock out the spent brass, but they fire. Only concern I've heard is the occasional squib with weakly loaded .32 since it's quite a bit more barrel than it was designed for.

No experience with any other caliber.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Thanks for the information. Sounds like I should use hot reloads with the adapters whenever possible. The slow reloading process wouldn't bother me too much. I am a slow poke anyhow most of the time.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have used a .308 to .32acp in an H&R single shot and it was a hoot. About as loud as a suppressed .22 and shot around a 1-1.5" group at 25 yards IIRC. Using a scope, the point of impact shifted 11 inches down from the zero with .308.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have used a .308 to .32acp in an H&R single shot and it was a hoot. About as loud as a suppressed .22 and shot around a 1-1.5" group at 25 yards IIRC. Using a scope, the point of impact shifted 11 inches down from the zero with .308.

Thanks for the input. Reduced noise is a huge factor for me. I am really surprised you were able to get that type of accuracy out of it. Very impressive. 25 yards is about what I would be shooting. Sounds like anything over that would be problematic anyway.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I remember doing a write up here but can not find the thread and no longer have the pics of the target. I was surprised as well. It was easily minute of rabbit at 25 yards and hearing safe. When I shot it the first time someone a couple benches down yelled for me to cease fire - he thought I had a squib. And no recoil whatsoever. I sold the rifle but still have the adapter somewhere. If I ever see a cheap .308 single shot I may have to pick it up.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It was, but I greatly appreciated his intervention. I had just shot two rounds of .308 to set a reference on the target and it sounded like a .308 with no powder to be sure.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    It was, but I greatly appreciated his intervention. I had just shot two rounds of .308 to set a reference on the target and it sounded like a .308 with no powder to be sure.

I understand. It is nice to know there are people who look out for the safety of others at the range. I found it amusing but if it had been an actual squib it would not be a laughing matter.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Get on Castboolits web site, should be info there that will give you pistol powder loads for the cartridges you have without having to get a chamber insert.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Get on Castboolits web site, should be info there that will give you pistol powder loads for the cartridges you have without having to get a chamber insert.

Oh wow! Good advice. I have just spent hours looking at different "mouse fart" loads. Looks like 10 grains of Unique is a popular light charge for a lot of rifles. Good stuff! :)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Oh wow! Good advice. I have just spent hours looking at different "mouse fart" loads. Looks like 10 grains of Unique is a popular light charge for a lot of rifles. Good stuff! :)

10 grains of Unique is an old starting point for all kinds of 'gallery loads'. It'll work in most any 'battle rifle' caliber ('06, .303, 8mm, etc). I know a couple of guys who loaded them for their elk rifles when they were out west and used them on grouse for dinner at the hunting camp. I've loaded some before and they are fun to play with.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep, what Leadeye mentioned about reduced loads does indeed work.
    Some years ago, I used the data for this category of loads straight out of my Speer #11 manual, using their 110 grain "Plinker" bullets out of my .30-06, propelled by a modest charge of Unique.
    They didn't shoot nearly as accurately as my full service loads in that caliber, but they were definitely quiet and had no recoil to speak of.
    Also, as another idea to help with accuracy if you're looking for chamber inserts for a .308 bore diameter rifle, maybe they make inserts that allow you to fire .30 Carbine.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Thanks for the comments and advice. It always amazes me how knowledgeable and helpful everyone is on this site. :ingo:

I am going to try some gallery loads for a few of my rifles.

I don't have reloading dies for 7.62x54R. Surplus ammo has always been so cheap I never saw the need. However, with the surplus ammo drying up and the added bonus of gallery loads I probably need to reconsider. But, for now I have ordered a chamber sleeve for 7.62x54R to shoot 32 ACP, 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Magnum. I will review it on INGO once I've tried it out.

I will look into a 308 or 30-06 sleeve for 30 carbine. That might allow for shooting at slightly longer range. Thanks for the suggestion. :yesway:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks for the comments and advice. It always amazes me how knowledgeable and helpful everyone is on this site. :ingo:

I am going to try some gallery loads for a few of my rifles.

I don't have reloading dies for 7.62x54R. Surplus ammo has always been so cheap I never saw the need. However, with the surplus ammo drying up and the added bonus of gallery loads I probably need to reconsider. But, for now I have ordered a chamber sleeve for 7.62x54R to shoot 32 ACP, 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Magnum. I will review it on INGO once I've tried it out.

I will look into a 308 or 30-06 sleeve for 30 carbine. That might allow for shooting at slightly longer range. Thanks for the suggestion. :yesway:

CHAMBER ADAPTERS

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Ok, well I got the Nagant chamber adapter to shoot 32 handgun cartridges. I also loaded up some "gallery loads" in 30-30.

I shot them both at about 25 yards.

For the Nagant first I used a Russian M38 and fired 32 ACP reloads. The accuracy wasn't bad and the recoil was nothing. Also, not much of a bang. I shot them without hearing protection and would compare it to one of the more powerful air rifles. I then tried my M27 Finnish Nagant. It has the longer barrel. It did not like the 32 ACP loads at all. Accuracy was poor and I actually had one get stuck in the barrel. I will stick to the shorter barrel M38 or I might try some 32 H&R magnum in the M27 and see what happens.

The galley loads were 150 grain lead cast bullets coated in Alox with 9 grains of Unique shot through my Winchester 94. They were extremely accurate with little felt recoil. I did wear hearing protection but barely noticed the bang. Not sure if I could get by without ear protection but it is definitely a quieter load than full power or even standard target loads.

I will see if I can get some pictures of the targets posted up soon.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Cool!
    You're right about that longer barreled M27.
    Go with H&R Magnum, and it'll probably be just right for that one.
    Really happy to hear that your W94 did so well with the adapter.
    You're a reloader, so that'll help quite a lot with making up ammo for your adapters.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have a couple of the Marbles adapters that I'd part with. One is shoot .32 Short Colt out of a 30-30. The other is to shoot .32 Colt Automatic out of an 8mm.

Top Bottom