• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was reading the latest Guns magazine and they had a review of the rimless Charter Arms Pitbull revolver in .40 S&W. I had heard that Charter was supposed to be coming out with the revolver for a while now, but it finally looks like they've actually come out with one now.

There's also supposed to be a 9mm version coming out too and this would probably be the one that I'd go for. Not having to worry about clips and being able to utilize the big pile of 9mm that I've got sounds pretty good to me, as long as this revolver maintains the usual reliability and ease of shooting of a wheel gun. I guess until I get my hands on one I don't know if I'd rather carry a 9mm over my 642 in .38 Spl +P. I guess all things considered, a premium 9mm self defense round will out-perform a premium .38 Spl round, right?

What do you guys think? Here's link to the gun on Charter's website.

Charter Pit Bill #74020

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I too read the same article yesterday.
    To say the "Pitbull" peaked my interest is an understatement.
    Its definetly one I'll consider in the near future.
    But I'll have to kick the tires a little bit before I move it to the top of the list. ;)

Stay safe

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It's been out for quite awhile now. I really wanted one several months back and had my FFL look into them for me but then I held off. I still want one, but I just have a few other purchases to take care of first.

There have been several pretty good reviews on them over the past 6 months.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd be interested in the 9mm version...if it ever comes out.

I'm MORE interested in the long-term reliability of these revolvers. Lately, Charter Arms hasn't exactly been known for producing top-notch stuff.

-J-

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't know how you mean the term "long term", but I had a CA 5-shot snubby for a number of years and never had an issue with it. I looked at a CA .40 PitBull at the last Indy1500 and almost bought it. Nice looking piece and would probably make a great backup to my G27.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't know how you mean the term "long term", but I had a CA 5-shot snubby for a number of years and never had an issue with it. I looked at a CA .40 PitBull at the last Indy1500 and almost bought it. Nice looking piece and would probably make a great backup to my G27.

Different vintages of CA guns = different results reliability wise. I know enough about the history of CA to know that I don't know enough to be able to pick out a "good" one from a "not so good one".

Older / Son of Sam / vintage CA guns = right decent.

But the company has been bought / sold a few times. Quality under certain owners wasn't up to par with much of their competition at all.

Current iteration of the company - don't know that they've got enough of a history under their belt, yet, to determine if these newer rimless cartridge revolvers are going to cut the mustard, so to speak.

-J-

Tyrusvirus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    It seems as thought Charter has turned things around. I am picking up a .44spl Bulldog on Friday and cannot wait to try it out. Bottom line is they are not Smith and Wessons, but they are an American made rugged little revolver and worth a try.

Top Bottom