• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    My wife is wanting to plant some cherry trees. One of her favorite fruits. Anyone have any suggestions of what type to plant? Will be looking for both tart and sweet ones. Thanks

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Gray squirrels will strip all of the fruit before it matures.
    Our neighbor had a couple of cherry trees; they eventually died a while back, but for a few years before that she let us pick cherries off of them. They always produced well, and the squirrels didn't seem to bother them much. They were about 150 yards from the woods, surrounded by open field, so maybe that made the difference?

No idea what variety they were, so can't be much help there, sorry, but they were extremely tart. Made great pies, though. :drool:

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I am terrible about taking pix when I should but we just harvested all of this yrs cherries. 5 1-gallon freezer bags. We have a few trees, some just 2-3 yrs old, one is 6-7 yrs old, the rest inbetween. The oldest had MANY cherries and we did beat the birds to most of them. We have Bing and Montmorect mostly, plus a black taritan (spelling?) Cherries were our only fruit to NOT get ZAPPED by the late frost in May. Check TY TY nursery, most of ours came from them. Pick based on your desired uses - cooking, canning, eating raw....

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I am terrible about taking pix when I should but we just harvested all of this yrs cherries. 5 1-gallon freezer bags. We have a few trees, some just 2-3 yrs old, one is 6-7 yrs old, the rest inbetween. The oldest had MANY cherries and we did beat the birds to most of them. We have Bing and Montmorect mostly, plus a black taritan (spelling?) Cherries were our only fruit to NOT get ZAPPED by the late frost in May. Check TY TY nursery, most of ours came from them. Pick based on your desired uses - cooking, canning, eating raw....
    Thanks for the information! Donyave have both sweet and tart?

Top Bottom