Choice of 308 deer hunting round weights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The old school way was always heavy for caliber for hunting rounds. This is not as common now as it was in the past because bullet tech has improved.

When I got the notes manuals dies and some components ect from an older handloader who had past I have found his old school approach to stuff very informative. “One note said ugly rounds shoot just as well as pretty rounds.” “Brass that shines just looks nicer”. Most of his notes under caliber had tons of info and loads/rifles listed listed. 308 had two loads listed and ten guns listed. one for Speer 180’s one for REM core loc 180’s . Notes under the core loc load said expands nicely almost as accurate as the speer. It also stated ordering 1000 core loc’s from midway. “Nice inexpensive round that preforms above what it costs to make others. “ 30-06 had just the 180 core loc listed. Notes said “ works well on mule deer” had three rifles listed.

I have his savage 99 308. I had his rem core loc 180’s in the components. I have ordered more of the core locs in 180 but they was a few years they were not available. They expand very nicely and work well in a couple browning 308 the savage and a rem 700. Just because they don’t cost a lot does not mean they are not above the curve.

Yep, 'xactly. Whatever the cartridge, figger the middle and go a little heavier.
    Same thing with round ball rifles and belted mags.

Top Bottom