• ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Speer makes a version of the 124gr designed specifically for short barrels as well, which is nice if you're carrying something below 4". These may be difficult or impossible to source as a projectile only, unfortunately. If you're running something below 3" for some reason, Hornady XTPs are about the only JHP that will still open to a degree without completely sacrificing penetration.

Per my usual, this wound up being a wall of text. Hopefully it helps somebody!
    Buffalo bore makes a lead hollow point +P that is reportedly good for short barrels. It is what I use in my 442 when it is
    carried.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Something to keep in mind that modern marketing will often try to spin; penetration is really the #1 criteria in any defensive handgun load. Consistent penetration through multiple kinds of barriers is the most important thing any bullet can do. It doesn't look flashy in gel tests, but it's what works.

Expansion is a secondary factor that can increase the wounding potential of a load by increasing it's surface slightly; but the more important thing is that the nose of the projectile isn't round. If a JHP doesn't expand much wider than it's initial diameter but flattens out nicely, it is still crushing soft tissue in front of that bullet. Round noses push material aside, flat noses crush. We want crush.

Thank about it out of context a bit... How many experienced hunters do you know that use explosively expansive or fragmenting bullets to kill deer size game? Likely not very many unless they are shooting for the head/CNS. In hunting we all want a bullet that will pass through at least to the hide on the opposite side of the animal for the deepest wound track through the most vitals. Why should we think about handgun bullets differently?
    Penetration is 'second', behind placement, in a defensive situation, but penetration is the #1 criteria of any defensive load, this is true.
    And you're correct in that 'crushed' tissue is more critical in a defensive situation than a round that simply 'pushes' soft tissue aside.
    People have asked me why I occasionally carry a flat-nosed lead 'cast' load in a revolver rather than switch out the ammo to a JHP?
    My response, If it's good enough to defend myself with against a 4-legged animal, it's probably good enough for a 2-legged aggressor!
    With a hunting round, one actually wants their bullet to stay together in order to achieve greater (or deeper) penetration...

Top Bottom