• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cookchs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    Bought Thompson Center In-line and mouned a scope on it. However, every time I clean it am scared I am going to bang the scope and knock it out of line.

Does anyone have any "tricks of thre trade" to throughly clean the gun but not knock it about to much? Is this as simple as putting the barrel in a vice with cardboard andhaving at it?

Thanks, C

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Bought Thompson Center In-line and mouned a scope on it. However, every time I clean it am scared I am going to bang the scope and knock it out of line.

Does anyone have any "tricks of thre trade" to throughly clean the gun but not knock it about to much? Is this as simple as putting the barrel in a vice with cardboard andhaving at it?

Thanks, C

With quality rings, base's, and scope it shouldnt be a issue.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Provided you have a quality scope, rings, and base you should have nothing to worry about. Bumps and thumps are part of normal field handling that and decent setup should easily handle. After all, I am certain more than one rifle has bumped the tree or a brace while being lowered from the tree stand without issue.

That being said, if you are banging it around that much trying to clean the scope you may want to revisit your cleaning methods.

Edit: Sorry Vette, I must have been typing while you posted yours.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Provided you have a quality scope, rings, and base you should have nothing to worry about. Bumps and thumps are part of normal field handling that and decent setup should easily handle. After all, I am certain more than one rifle has bumped the tree or a brace while being lowered from the tree stand without issue.

That being said, if you are banging it around that much trying to clean the scope you may want to revisit your cleaning methods.

Edit: Sorry Vette, I must have been typing while you posted yours.

:draw:

cookchs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    Thank you. This is my first scoped rifle and thus I baby it more than I do my old shotgun.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Another thing that probably should be addressed is the importance of proper torque values when mounting. Scopes dont have to be as tight as alot of folks think

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Thanks, C
    5 gallon bucket and some dish soap and hot water. Remove the breech plug and striker and drop in the waterand take the action out of the stock. Put the muzzle in the hot soapy and with a patch on the jag push and pull till you suck hot soapy up to the breech. Repeat several times. Hold action by the scope and pour boiling water through the bbl to rinse. Set on a towel over a heat vent muzzle down. Fish out the breech plug and the striker and clean. Put breech plug grease on the threads. Run one patch with bore lube or crisco down the tube b4 it cools completely. Install breech plug. Assemble rifle.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Another thing that probably should be addressed is the importance of proper torque values when mounting. Scopes dont have to be as tight as alot of folks think

whoa whoa whoa! You mean that I'm not supposed to be using a pneumatic impact wrench to mount a scope?!?

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    patience0830 is right on target, hot soapy water. pop the plug, pull the stock and clean away.

I take the air chuck to them add a lite coat of CLP when I'm done and they are good to go

Lot of folks are stunned when you tell them to use water but truly it's the "universal solvent" that's been used for years.

Top Bottom