• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If I'm only doing a 50 round box, i just wipe what is left off with a rag. I use Lee lube, which is a wax, not petroleum based, so it' just swipes right off. If I'm doing a large batch, i'll turn on the tumbler, and throw the cases in while I'm resizing. When the last case goes in, I'll leave the tumbler going for another 15 minutes and then they all come out.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't tumble after resizing. I wash my resized brass in Simple Green and hot water in a sink.

I use a spray lube and quite a bit goes inside the neck so the neck is well lubed. A lot of media gets stuck inside the case when tumbling as a result.

I have tumbled and then washed and the amount of media that floats to the top is scary indeed.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I tumble wet using a stainless media. everything looks brand new when done.
    nothing sticks to it and even cleans out the primer pocket. Depending on how dirty the bras is I run it anywhere from 45 mins to 1.5 hours

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I don't wipe or tumble after resizing. I use a mixture of lanolin and isso heat. I only need to lube 1 out of about every 3 cases, takes very little, and it evaporates to the point you wouldn't know it had lube on it.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I don't tumble after resizing. I wash my resized brass in Simple Green and hot water in a sink.

I use a spray lube and quite a bit goes inside the neck so the neck is well lubed. A lot of media gets stuck inside the case when tumbling as a result.

I have tumbled and then washed and the amount of media that floats to the top is scary indeed.

Thats been my experience too with spray lube on large batches, small particles of media stick to the cases and no amount of tumbling will get the lube and media off. Dawn detergent and hot water does the trick. The only down side is it takes a 2-3 days for the cases to completely dry. Never really liked the oven on low heat thing.

On small batches I use Imperial sizing wax, and wipe off with a paper towel.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thats been my experience too with spray lube on large batches, small particles of media stick to the cases and no amount of tumbling will get the lube and media off. Dawn detergent and hot water does the trick. The only down side is it takes a 2-3 days for the cases to completely dry. Never really liked the oven on low heat thing.

On small batches I use Imperial sizing wax, and wipe off with a paper towel.

My batches are 500 cases or so at a time. They are put in a cardboard box and spray lube is liberally applied until they are completely wet, inside and out.

It helps with controlling neck length because the expander gets a smooth ride through the neck.

They dry on the carpet on the floor and it does take a couple of days.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I used the pad and lube in the beginning, but I went to Hornady One Shot. I had cases get stuck in the die. After using the One Shot, I had one case get stuck at first, but never since then. I also just wipe them clean with a rag when I'm priming them.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    So far, using One-Shot Case lube, I have loaded 30-06, 308, 30-30, 223, 45 Colt and 45 ACP without any sticking problems and no dented cases and no residue at loading time. I use an ultrasonic cleaner after case work is finished and before tumbling.

The Hornady product is expensive tho and I am looking forward to finding a cheaper way to "dri lube" the cases using some of the great ideas I am getting from this forum.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I also tumble for 30 min or so after I resize to clean up the lube. I use imperial sizing wax and to be honest, after the 2nd tumble the brass usually looks almost new without any sticking media.

Maybe the media sticking to the cases could be the type that is used? I use corncob and the other popular one is walnut I believe.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Before I went to the lanolin and isso heat mix, I used vaseline. Watched my father 35+ yrs ago using it and he still does. Only need enough in the palm of your hand to make it shiny, roll 4-5 cases , dab the inside of the neck, resize. Not really need to tumble here either, if you wipe off cases after resizing.
    I did this for yrs before coming across the mix now I use.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    I ordered a kit that comes with a pad to roll the cases on and brushes to do the inside of the neck.

Been there done that it sucks after a while, I just did 2k .223 with hornady one shot and had zero problems and by the time I was done with the case prep the lube was pretty much gone and I never had to even worry abut it.

I highly recommend the one shot, it's way faster and easier. After 2k rounds I still have well over half of the can left.

Top Bottom