• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I wish I understood this process better but the talking heads seem to say it is not that simple, and I suspect it is not. A practical side of me says it would be whiplash to go back and forth on on what congress should have legislated…
    Obviously Congress should be doing this if it is going to be done.

I'd like to know why it wouldn't be that easy. It was surely that easy in 2021.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Obviously Congress should be doing this if it is going to be done.

I'd like to know why it wouldn't be that easy. It was surely that easy in 2021.
    If the EO is an executive policy, perhaps “trans everything good”, those are easily. This wetlands stuff doesn’t seem so easily reversed. I am certainly no expert on EO’s but I believe that to create the EO on wetlands is just a dictate, but to rescind it requires hearings etc.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If the EO is an executive policy, perhaps “trans everything good”, those are easily. This wetlands stuff doesn’t seem so easily reversed. I am certainly no expert on EO’s but I believe that to create the EO on wetlands is just a dictate, but to rescind it requires hearings etc.
    Ah, yeah. They will be going through that to create that as well. That makes sense

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    And that was a perfectly acceptable choice with few unwanted consequences. I don't know what is behind the expansion of such PFAS impregnated packaging, I just think it is unwise. The idea that greasy food shouldn't mean greasy packaging seems like much ado about nothing and maybe shouldn't generate that much concern given their prevalence and persistence in the environment. Perhaps limit usage to more important areas such as surgical implements and sterile packaging

Because it was nearby, I remember when discovery in a lawsuit revealed that DuPont had been knowingly polluting water supplies in Parkersburg WVa with PFOA since the early 1980s and had known no later than 1993 via their own captive studies that the chemical was a carcinogen for testicular, pancreatic and liver tumors in lab animals yet elected to keep using it because the products they made with it were worth $1 billion per year to the bottom line. When 3M phased out production they began manufacturing their own supply

I'm not really a believer that feeding mice doses of contaminants far over what they likely could ever accumulate in their lifetimes in order to speed up the appearance any deleterious effects is a valid methodology but neither would I willingly drink even small amounts on a regular basis. Dumping industrial waste in waterways (or indeed injecting it into the ground like PG&E) and then pretending that's the end of any concern is not good stewardship or good business practice

You might be surprised how badly manufacturers react to grease stains on the outside of packaging like doughnut boxes, even butter and margarine stick cartons. ;)

Packaging can mean both everything and nothing. I remember an executive from Elizabeth Arden cosmetics giving us a project and telling us that she wanted the Elizabeth Arden experience to start when the customer picked up the box. There was no other direction. I thought about that on the way home and asked the gardener about EA cosmetics and their relative position in that market. The overprint varnish we made for that had micronized teflon combined with high weight silicone that gave the carton a smooth matte finish that felt like velvet. Not cheap at all, but it was exactly what the customer was looking for even though they did not know it at the time. That was a case where the box meant a great deal.:)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You might be surprised how badly manufacturers react to grease stains on the outside of packaging like doughnut boxes, even butter and margarine stick cartons. ;)

Packaging can mean both everything and nothing. I remember an executive from Elizabeth Arden cosmetics giving us a project and telling us that she wanted the Elizabeth Arden experience to start when the customer picked up the box. There was no other direction. I thought about that on the way home and asked the gardener about EA cosmetics and their relative position in that market. The overprint varnish we made for that had micronized teflon combined with high weight silicone that gave the carton a smooth matte finish that felt like velvet. Not cheap at all, but it was exactly what the customer was looking for even though they did not know it at the time. That was a case where the box meant a great deal.:)
    I just ordered a couple of leather belts, a nice Ariat belt that came in a clear plastic sleeve loose in an Amazon box, that also contained a $15 cheapo that came in an attractive box, rolled in a nice cloth bag both with manufacturer logos. Which was the better experience to receive? ;)

Apple may be the biggest stickler on the packaging issue…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I can certainly see a situation like that being important to the customer. A McDonalds French fry box, not so much, and the French fry box leads to a great deal more exposure than a high end make-up box as well

EA didn't want their product thought of as greasy, maybe McDonalds has the same desire but I doubt any sort of packaging will change people's expectations all that much :)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can certainly see a situation like that being important to the customer. A McDonalds French fry box, not so much, and the French fry box leads to a great deal more exposure than a high end make-up box as well

EA didn't want their product thought of as greasy, maybe McDonalds has the same desire but I doubt any sort of packaging will change people's expectations all that much :)

I would imagine that the french fry container like most everything that goes with McDonalds involves incremental cost.

A long time ago I was treating my sons to McDonalds while we were talking about engineering. I held up my bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit and said this is an example of highly refined engineering. I was asked how so, and I went on to say that everything here revolves around scale. Because of the sheer number of sandwiches sold the engineering of the individual increment is very important. There is a fortune to be made if you can extract a fraction of a cent from the process while maintaining or increasing sales.

The cosmetic box was another approach where management wanted everything, including the box to, project an image. The study of what is known as haptics gave them another dimension they had not considered, but welcomed when it was presented. The box felt good when you picked it up.

Top Bottom