• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I was in Gander Mountain over the weekend. Browsing the gun department, etc.
    As I was looking, a young, mid-20's couple ask for help at the counter. The clean-cut young man reads from a piece of paper that he needs, for his new job, a Glock 22. I kid you not, he actually spells out G-L-O-C-K 2-2 to the clerk as if it were a pair of mysterious shoes. The sales clerk plops a G22 on the counter. Young guy picks it up, points at stuff, and puts it back down. His lady friend/girlfriend/wife kind of wrinkles her nose at the price/ they both mention it will be for his "new job". Clerk says that it might qualify for a tax deduction....They both say "OK" and start the paperwork process. Guy says "I'm probably gonna need some ammo too, maybe 100 or so to start"...At this point I'm really wondering what job would require a personal purchase of a gun and who would take such a job without maybe at least a little experience...When the guy was reading off the note paper I was really puzzeled. WTF!

Any ideas?:dunno: PappyD

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    All kinds of scenarios run through my head: security guard, PD recruit, armed forces, pizza delivery, repo

Especially in a sales scenario, I never take what people say at face value. Perhaps he wanted to impress the clerk into getting some sort of discount.

Perhaps he was trying to impress the girlfriend.

Perhaps he's still dreaming or working toward a certain career position and wants to get into handguns now before he tries to apply to something that requires proficiency with a weapon.

He may have somewhere heard about the Glock 22 and decided it was the model he needed to fit in.

Was English a second language? I ask this since you said he spelled out Glock, a name that is phonetically easy to handle.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I believe English was his native language. I was being nosy and listening to what the clerk said about the Glock. I think the guy was ready to buy when he walked in. I guess the buyer just struck me as someone with little experience. Maybe he was just accepted to training academy of sorts with the G22 being the issue/primary weapon.
    Who knows?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm gonna guess armed security guard, such as a money truck driver or something.

I have a friend who didn't know anything about firearms when he got one of those jobs. They issued him an antique revolver and 2 broken speed loaders, but never gave him ONE OUNCE of training.

Top Bottom