• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    What is the best ( well priced) cold gear on the market, I work outside and in the wind, right next to the missouri river, anywhere from ground level to 135 feet in the air, so I need some stuff good in the wind,

I need to have stuff that is flexible, because sometimes I am fitting stuff in place and end up bending and contorting in all weird ways, other nights I end up siting on scaffolding just welding so very little activity? any thoughts , or recommendations would be great.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    when it's really cold and i'm working outside, i wear carhart arctic. very warm, cuts the wind but needs wash several times to be flexible.

i recommend you take the layering approach with your final outer layer being a foul weather suit of some kind. the current ECWS gear issued by the military would be a good choice.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I'm a big fan of Carhartt stuff.. The shirts and sweatshirts are so tight knitted and warm you don't end up being so bulky when layering because you need less.. The bib overalls cant be beat for warmth and durability and no cold crack when you bend over..

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If you're welding, Under Armor and other polypropylene and nylon based materials might not be the best way to go. They could melt under intense heat or sparks, or if you have some kind of accident and are burned. I'd stick with with wool or cotton based materials if I were welding 8 or 10 hours a day.

Most of the Carhart stuff I've seen is cotton based. Dickies and Walls make similar looking bibs and jackets too. But I'd go with Cotton. Especially as an outer layer.

Just my thoughts. You probably have a lot more experience with the welding than I do.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Carhartt also says not to wear it when welding. But if you layer correctly, your burning jacket may be enough. A non-cotton base layer, and none of the layers should be tight, including the base. I am a huge fan of wool, which normally requires some type of turtleneck or other shirt under the wool (unless you have crocodile skin). Base layer, turtle neck, wool sweater, that combo is hard to beat. Wool can be quite expensive but hit the nearest Goodwill store. Some of the wool may be in good shape and warm but be a tacky pattern from the 1980's. If its for work, who cares.

By the way, word on the street is that the best long underwear money can buy is made of silk. Deceptively thin and sheer, but exceptionally warm. I haven't compared it to, say, Underarmor, but it is priced about the same. You would probably have to internet order the silk. It sounds gay but I just had this conversation recently with someone who swears its amazing. She spent 2 weeks at 11,000 feet elevation in February. The "hut" they stayed in was stone with no heat source, and was often colder than being outside. And she is chronically cold. I guess my point is that I trust her opinion of silk. After Christmas I will give you my own rating on the stuff.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    All good suggestions. Just as important is making sure you put fuel in your furnace. Eating to stay warm makes all the difference. IIRC starches are good, proteins not so much. I know for sure, bread and potatoes are what I eat prior to the tree stand.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    have been avoiding the under armor, I picked up a Carhart "unoin suit" one peice and helps avoid the cold crack situation, also have some of the ecws it works great, Just hoping to find better than what I had, this union suit, some ecws and a good pair of carhart bibs should get me if not I 'll pack up and go find work in california

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Not welding but MC riding and I layer. You can always take things off if too warm and silk is great for the 1st layer ;) with leathers on top

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    If you're welding, Under Armor and other polypropylene and nylon based materials might not be the best way to go. They could melt under intense heat or sparks, or if you have some kind of accident and are burned. I'd stick with with wool or cotton based materials if I were welding 8 or 10 hours a day.

The flames should keep you warm... LOL:flamethrower: :runaway:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I use polypro long underwear, or generic Walmart or Dicks underarmor. Layer over that fleece, thickness depending on the cold, then a windproof shell.

If you can stay dry, and keep the wind out usually you will be warm. You must be able to vent quickly, when you are active you will heat up fast, and have to be able to vent it.

I like the wool, fingerless gloves with the mitten flap that are lined with thinsulate. Can add a silk liner if needed.

kec2306

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Franklin
    Carhart and Under Armor Combination, Nothing better !!! Key is to layer that way you can remove as you warm!! Goodluck and stay warm !!

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I'm a fan of Under Armor, but as has been mentioned, it's not a good idea when welding. The current ECWCS is Polartec silk long underwear (or as we call it, the ninja suit), fleece jacket and pants, and Gore-tex outer shell. The ninja suit is great. I wore it under my uniform at Fort Drum, NY in November and was quite comfortable....until the wind picked up. For blocking the wind, Gore-tex can't be beat.

Take a look at Ranger Joe's Military and Law Enforcement Gear, bdu's, police,uniforms,swat,insignia,knives,rucksacks,gore-tex,flashlights,nomex,camping supplies,survival supplies to get a feel for what's available. Their target market is Army, so everything is pretty much in the ACU pattern. Should give you a feel for prices and manufacturers, though.

Top Bottom