• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SRR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Commiefornia
    I have a question about leaving my EDC in the car while I'm at work. Does the low temperatures affect the bullets? or the gun? I carry a Glock 19 with speer fmj ammo.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    you use fmj for EDC ammo?

and if your concerned about temp compromising the ammo...let google be your friend, interesting question though.

salemons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NorthWest Indiana
    I do that also but with my G19 and Gold Dot ammo. The only problem I've had in the last 10 years is if its really cold putting the gun into my Threat Solutions inside the waistband holster. Takes my breath away for a while till it warms up.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Lots of fun stuff can happen when the weather turns cold.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...l_205_low_light_techniques-2.html#post1500785

I once had an issue with some ammo that was loaded very light. Shooting it in a December low-light class the temps were cold enough that the ammo wouldn't reliably cycle the slide on my G19. It was quite frustrating.

In my particular case the ammo was at fault and the temps just made it worse. You should be fine with factory loaded stuff. I would still recommend shooting in vary conditions and temperatures, just to be sure your gear works when you need it.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a question about leaving my EDC in the car while I'm at work. Does the low temperatures affect the bullets? or the gun? I carry a Glock 19 with speer fmj ammo.

I highly doubt that the cold weather will harm your ammo or gun but I do not know for fact. Interested to see what someone with knowledge on this has to say.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Come shoot a Friday Night Steel event at Marion county fish and game during the winter months!:) that will show you alot about how you and your gun will operate when it's cold!:yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just thought of another cold-weather incident.

I was out shooting with some training buddies of mine and we had left our carbines out on the range on the ground for about an hour while we warmed ourselves inside. Upon returning I picked up my carbine and attempted to fire. I got 2 light primer strikes and the bolt carrier was sluggish and gummed up. Turns out the lube I was using plus the carbon build-up had created a nice frozen paste all over the BCG. Yuck.

We ended up heating the BCG up inside one of the guy's trucks, and then using oil from his dipstick to re-lube everything. It ran just fine after that.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ctical_st_15_m4_le_carbine-2.html#post1630334

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I guess I'll get some hollow points at the 1500 on Sunday. I was thinking of putting the gun in a small cooler.

Yea save the ball ammo for your targets, although a good defensive ammo is pricey....target with just a box or two and see how they feel for ya.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    Come shoot a Friday Night Steel event at Marion county fish and game during the winter months!:) that will show you alot about how you and your gun will operate when it's cold!:yesway:

^^^^This. Everyone thinks they know it all until sub-zero temperatures come out. It's the great equilizer

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    One thing that freezes guns up is condensation: Going from a nice warm hut to outside frigid cold will freeze up the condensation in the gun. I have it from a friend in the Army, when I asked this question, who told me that he was told to clean his gun in a dry place outside, then leave it outside in the cold rather than bring it back in to the warm building with you. Keeps it from building then freezing condensation. If it's a pistol, keep it in you jacket. Big thing is, if this is your carry gun, keep it on you. Won't get cold and freeze if you carry it on your person. :)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I do not know about ammo, but MOST lubricants, have an "operating" temp. Too hot, and it will "run" away... too cold, and it will "gum" up the works .....:twocents: JMHO

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have seen people shooting ammo that has been frozen in water for a week, with no problem.
    So im sure a good quality gun and modern ammo would work just fine in the cold.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Definitely can affect operation. Warm weather grease combined with low temps equals FTF. I learned at FNS. Good lesson.

Top Bottom