• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    Looking for a good range of ideas on handguns that are both fun to shoot and will appreciate in value over time. Preferrably 9mm and 380 to stay with the current ammo on hand. It appears everyone is enthused about 1911's but I have no idea where to start to narrow down the decision from there. Having a hard time narrowing down just the 1911 choices let alone the others. Is there a blue book for guns?

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I think you'll have a hard time getting a .380 to appreciate. They're generally polymer, subcompact, inexpensive and not know for they're fantastic craftsmanship. The Walther PPK, PPK/S don't even seem to have enough clout to be highly regarded or very desirable.

9mm...maybe. Most double-stack, combat platform pistols will hold their value well because it's a desirable platform and caliber but I don't know about appreciation: too many of them readily available. I'd suggest big calibers and stainless steel construction. Old Smith and Wesson and Colt magnums have models that have appreciated, and a 1911 is surely a classic. Once something stops being made you'd have a better shot at appreciation. I doubt someone will pay $700 for a GLOCK in 4 years if they can get one used for $590, ya know?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    This is the only .380 I have owned and it was fun also had a good resale to it.

Beretta 84 Cheetah 380 ACP - BEJ84F212M - LIPSEYS.COM

As for 9's there are a lot of choices CZ 75B I think is a good choice also there are several good 9mm 1911 that would familiarize you with the 1911 platform and stay with your desire for the 9mm, seems like one of those might be just what you are looking for I have a couple are they are very fun to shoot.

Kimber, and Springfield and even Rock Island make them, Although Rock Island won't hold it's value as well as others.
    There are more expensive ones out there also but Kimber does a great job with the 9mm 1911

Try to invest in quality guns if you want to see them increase in Value

The double stack Polymer guns just don't seem to go up in value in most cases.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    May be a pig and a poke, however, as the current generation ages it will grow nostalgic for the "arabian wars" as the we currently have for WWII guns. My guess is that at some point there may be a a historical reason for people to collect beretta m92s.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    to the O.P. there is actually a book called the blue book of gun values ! but there is limited picture's but a lot of info !
    you are on one of the best source's of info we have ! (internet)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'll have a very hard time purchasing anything "new" today that'll appreciate to the point of being an investment; especially if you plan on shooting them.

Shooting ALWAYS hurts value. Always.

Your best bet for an investment piece is to plunk down the change for a 100% custom firearm from a very well known gunsmith...not shoot it... And then hope & pray that you can get out of it what you spent in....15 years. (selling for what you paid can indeed be considered an investment when you figure in no depreciation vs. inflation!)

If I wanted a .380 firearm that was built to last and to hold value better than most, I'd second what's been said above: Beretta 83/84 (believe 1 is blued, 1 is nickel) or a Walther PPK. The PPK/s aren't as collectible.

Now, if you could smuggle in a Glock 25 or 28...then you'd be talking. Good luck with that, though.

-J-

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009

If you have a lot of money, get into collecting 1911's... lol
    Early 1911's in good shape are big dollar items. I held a ww2 issue 38 super that brought 25k. I have seen some issue 1911's with low numbers that were estimated over 100k.
    On the other hand, they are like colt single actions, there are so many fakes (as in reworked or refinished, added stampings, etc..) out there it is tough to find a nice original gun.
    There are many good books on collecting the 1911, I think that if someone wants to start collecting anything, the first thing they should buy is a bunch of reference books on the item. An expensive reference book could save a guy thousands of dollars if they can tell the difference between original and reworked.
    So your first investment should be a few reference books, they will help you spot a good deal one day.
    I would tell you to stay away from commemoratives and so called special editions. They almost never appreciate much.
    Whatever you decide to collect, buy reference books. Learn as much as you can about whatever you are interested in.

Top Bottom