• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Made up some home brew ammo for the 1877, the 38 Colt originally was a .375 diameter heeled bullet but I've seen some folks on the internet getting results with soft 148 grain HBWC bullets bumped up. 2.8 grains of Bullseye with a CCI SP in a shortened 38 special case, the bullet protruding slightly. I may try a regular case as the 38 special fits close and may work with the HBWC seated flush with the case mouth. Results were less than stellar, the gun functioned well in both DA and SA but groups while well centered were a foot in diameter at 20 yards.

You can see the difference in bore diameter where the bullet fits down the barrel easily in the picture. I'll keep working on this.

Turns out the 38 special case really doesn't fit at all in most of the cylinders.:)

Last edited:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I don't have any experience with the old 38 Colts. So, the .357 HBWC when fired the base expands and engages the rifling in the .375 barrel?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't have any experience with the old 38 Colts. So, the .357 HBWC when fired the base expands and engages the rifling in the .375 barrel?

That's the idea, we fired several cartridges and had no key holes at 20 yards so there must be something to what I've read. I was expecting better accuracy although the info I read never addressed group size at any distance. Maybe I need to increase or decrease cartridge length.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I would think that higher powder charges would effect the expansion but it has to remain within limits as I am sure you are aware.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm considering the higher charge as well, but I have to keep in mind that I'm shooting a 114 year old gun that was never considered a marvel of mechanical reliability.:)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Anybody have one of those Lyman/Ideal .375 diameter percussion revolver molds?
    I sold mine years ago or else I'd pony up some bullets. Sizing down the base step should be easy with soft lead.

Hey, doesn't Lee still make those .375 molds? But their's were pretty short from what I recommember.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The difficulty here is the heeled bullet design, the diameter of the bullet that rides the lands is the same as the outside, not inside, of the case. The base of the bullet fits the inside of the case up to a ledge where the outside diameter starts. Heeled bullets are fitted into the case first then lubricated externally. The 22RF is about the only remaining use of this design that goes way back into the 1800s to early cartridges.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    The difficulty here is the heeled bullet design, the diameter of the bullet that rides the lands is the same as the outside, not inside, of the case. The base of the bullet fits the inside of the case up to a ledge where the outside diameter starts. Heeled bullets are fitted into the case first then lubricated externally. The 22RF is about the only remaining use of this design that goes way back into the 1800s to early cartridges.

Well, I just learned something. :)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Did some more work with this ammo. Gave the chambers a rigorous cleaning after learning that 1877 chambers are bored straight through, this allowed the use of the 38 special case. Increased the charge to 3 grains of Bullseye and used a regular 38 special case with the 147 grain HBWC seated flush with a slight crimp. This shrank the groups from 12 inches to 4 and they are still centered, but a little high. Extraction was a little harder than I would like, but the revolver performed well considering how cold it is outside today. I'm not sure how much further I can tighten it up without going to a heeled bullet, but I'll keep working on it.:)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Leadeye,
    I found some candy bar soft 375083's that were molded up a decade ago before I sold the mold.
    You're welcome to them or I'll run 'em through the 1858.

Top Bottom